What Long Tube Headers for SBC?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Chevy911, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Chevy911

Chevy911 New Member

I have a 73’ with the factory sbc 350, I’m looking to do a pypes or magnaflow stainless exhaust system but I don’t know what long tube Headers will work on the car. From some reviews I’ve seen, Hooker super comps sit too low (however someone locally has a brand new set for $400), I was thinking of Flowtech 31100FLT which says they fit 67-74’ Camaros.
    Any suggestions?
    Also what is the difference between 70-74’ & 75-81’?

1980RS likes this.
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Flowtech is garbage, stay away from it. Interesting designs, awful construction.

For a street car was an automatic, I’ve always liked the headman 68608.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

I have Headman Headers 68278. They fit fine in my 73 2nd Gen. I just pulled them because the ceramic coating was coming off. Sending them to JetHot next week. I just pulled them today.. I would recommend go with magnaflow exhaust.. it’s worth the extra money..

Attached Files:

4. Chevy911

Chevy911 New Member

The Hedman headers fit tight and doesn’t interfere with the A/C or anything? My car is an Automatic.

5. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

I don't have A/C but mine is an automatic. I had to massage a few areas with the mini sledge and a block of wood. lower control arm support was alittle close. but that was it.

6. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

Attached are some pictures when they were in the car.

Attached Files:

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 68608 will fit with AC, but you have to use an aftermarket bracket. For street cars, I like this header because it is a mid-length and dumps at the firewall, so the ground clearance is quite good.

If you can put up with a little less ground clearance, the Dougs 375-Y is the best performing header for street cars. They are a Tri-Y design which makes a lot more power on the low end than a conventional 4-1 header (more info here)

8. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Are you looking for clearance or flow? I ran a set of regular Hooker 1 5/8 tubes for about 5 years before the bottom of the collector rotted out. Granted I'm in a swampy state. I did also run a set of the stainless Chinese ebay 1 3/4 pipes and those were awesome but they won't fit if your car has the ac box. They do have great plug clearance though.

9. Chevy911

Chevy911 New Member

I got this car from an old lady who brought the car brand new out of CA. The car is super clean but it’s also super stock and in need of more of that muscle car rumble. I don’t want to lose any amenities or damage the car in the process of putting on headers (ie. no cutting of the a/c box, no beating up the floor for clearance).

10. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

Those Doug 375Y headers are nice, I like how they used dual collectors, makes for a cleaner look, how is the Spark plug clearance? do you have to run Shorty spark plugs with these headers?
    I don’t think I made it clear, Chevy 911, I did not cut or beat any floor clearance for my headers. I actually flatted out a spot on the headers themselves for the clearance I needed, flattened it down 1/4”. Every car is built just a little different and what fits for my camaro may not fit for your application, the same goes with all headers, you may get lucky and they drop right in. Others may need the tubes beaten in a little to make fitment possible. But I will say the Doug’s header looks really good, I wouldn’t mind trying them out, but I just spent $470 for mine to get JetHot, I would recommend doing this for heat. Cause you will notice a substantial heat difference in the engine compartment with Headers.

Lowend, what do think?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=AD16386AC8344B363B1AAD16386AC8344B363B1A&q=jet+hot+coating&shtp=GetUrl&shid=03983524-d818-4db9-aa5b-cd7de8f257c1&shtk=RHJhc3RpY2FsbHkgbG93ZXIgdW5kZXJob29kIHRlbXBlcmF0dXJlcw==&shdk=RHJhc3RpY2FsbHkgbG93ZXIgdW5kZXJob29kIHRlbXBlcmF0dXJlcyBmb3IgYSBjb29sZXIgYW5kIGJldHRlciBwZXJmb3JtaW5nIHJpZGUgd2l0aCBKZXQtSG90J3MgQ2xhc3NpYyBQb2xpc2ggY29hdGluZy4gVGhlIG1vc3QgdHJ1c3RlZCBleGhhdXN0IGNvYXRpbmcgc2luY2UgMTk4Mi4=&shhk=Kv2o+QaqCslPVjxzCzT0TXMc49rmNGxbDmPmr5Teo6I=&form=VDSHOT&shth=OSH.QMP4CF95Bvd4Wyz1%2FP%2FPfQ

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021