What Paint to Use

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by ultimateoffroad, Nov 15, 2020.

1. ultimateoffroad

ultimateoffroad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

About to attempt my first paint job. What are good brands for first try? I have looked at SPI primer and clear and HOK color. Is it stupid to spend that much on first shot?

2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To answer yer ? imo, HOK color are awesome, I dont think you wanna practice with that paint

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have heard good things about Summit Racing Brand

4. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

The coating store has good paint and good price but a limited amount of colors. Search some autobody forum to see some reviews. I have used them on a couple of cars with very good results.

5. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check out autobody101.com forum. I used Dupont Chromabase and SPI clear with good results.

6. djgriff

djgriff Member

Hello. What are you painting(daily driver or somthing special)?HOK is priced very high and is not easy to use . i have used chromabase also with good results but it too is very pricey these days. SPI from what i can tell is as good or better then any brand of clear no matter the cost as well as the epoxy and reducers they make are top notch and seem to be cost effective compared to best from DuPont(axalta)ppg. RM or BASF. I don't paint for a living but i do have some experience.painting over the years and am repainting my z28 as i write this. I have sprayed omni nason. Limco suprme + in recent years as well as imron and chromabase and dittzler laquer way back when....spi has a great forum also and between the autobody101 and spiforums.com you will have plenty of info.from people that are very knowledgeable and up to date. If you can afford better materials it will pay off in the long run but i think there are high grade paimts and coatings that are not worth the extreme prices)(top line ppg axalta glasurt HOK) while there are mid priced products from from some smaller companies like Wanda. Prospray spi.or one i just lucked into automotive art. That m@ke better products then the big guys at 1/2 the expemce. Are you going solid color or metalic. ? Are you using a real paimt booth or makeshift home gatage? Do you have a big compressor (60 gal 5+hp min) or20 to 30 gal home hobby type?There are many more variables that can make or break your 1st paint job or your 100th. SPI has the most amazing customet sevice. .along with top grade products and will send you in the right direction even if they do not have what you need ot want they will know where to get it. I have only just found spi recently and only sprayed epoxy primer and sealer over pcl polyprimer and automotive art base on the epoxy sealer and just finished with universal clear from spi. I think this is awesome stuff so far and. I highly recomend them thier products and advice.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

If you have a local Auto paint supply store. Go in and spend a little time asking questions. They are usually very helpful. Plus they may have been sent to schools to train them on the use of the products they sell. I think a secondary line of a brand name paint would be a good way to go. Maybe even a single stage paint. B/C C/C is Not that hard to work with. The primer spraying will get you ready. You will learn a lot in that phase.

8. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

SPI Epoxy and TCP Global restoration shop single stage worked great and was relatively inexpensive to learn with.