What product do I use to paint dash/cowl area?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76_TypeLT, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

I did the same thing Krabben did. Satin Hot Rod black Urethane single stage from Summit over SPI Epoxy. I put the paint on kind of textured. I'll try to post up a pic tommorow.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my main concern with this is the glossyness of the SPI epoxy primer. I suppose I could top coat with a satin clear coat?

3. 76_TypeLT

thanks, I'd love to see how it turned out for you

4. 1981blackZ28

1981blackZ28 Veteran Member

My metal dash was partially chemically stripped by the previous owner. Since I wanted to go back with the factory color I looked at the interior color code chip pages and found some of the codes had an * denoting low gloss. I ordered online a custom mixed aerosol can of PPG lacquer which looks to be an exact match to what was left on the dash and also to the metal trim at the back of the package tray.
    The GM color chip page also states that "intsrument panel color must be sprayed with UCV-69 low gloss clear"

5. modracer

modracer Member

Mine usually comes out real glossy when I am using it just for primer but I lay it on real thick and wet. A friend of mine shoots a lot of it and cant believe the gloss of mine as his always looks like the color or lower gloss that you are looking for. He does reduce his so not sure if that is the difference or not but if you called Barry or sent him an email he could probably tell you.

I have gotten that satin look before but don't remember what I did differently that time.

6. 76_TypeLT

I might do that, thanks.

I am leaning more toward using either a Hot Rod black product like others did or use SEM Landau Black for consistency. I love SPI epoxy primer but I don't think it would generate the look I am after.

7. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Pic makes it look glossier than it actually is but here is Hot Rod Black Satin Urethane:

[​IMG]

8. 76_TypeLT

Thanks, that is really helpful. It gives me a good idea of what that product finish is like.