What size A/C condenser pusher fan to use.

patroll

Veteran Member
Nov 23, 2009
Jackson,S.C.
I have a 1975 Camaro removed the old VIR and installed VIR eliminator kit, changed the compressor to a A6 or S6 the one that looks like it's aluminum on the back section but bolts up like the original one, Flushed the evaporator and condenser before doing this and covering the ports to keep moisture out. Had the original hoses fitted with the non leaking style for R134A refrigerant changed the o rings .( PROBLEM STARTS HERE) the head pressure or high side gets around 250ish the low side gets around 60 degree coil . works good when it's raining which I prefer not to drive in. I need to lower my original condenser pressure /heat down , can anyone give me the proper measurements any tips on a pusher fan to mount to the front of the condenser to lower my high pressure down ? I'm a home HVAC mech. this car has been different , know that there's a after market condenser but you have to change the hoses to . Trying to keep my car as close to original, will use LED bulbs , and some modern things but please help with the reversible/ pusher condenser fan motor. Had a 100 lbs. of R12 wished I would have kept it now.

patroll

Veteran Member
Nov 23, 2009
Jackson,S.C.
I could find my scales so ,I did the old method touch feel and presures

I charged it with my gauges till I got the accumalor ,receiver drier to sweat. It cools fair and got the air down to 45 degrees while moving down the highway, and it was raining which cooled the condenser down. problem is getting the pressures down in the heat. I could find my electronic scales , still looking, I believe about 3 and 1/2 pounds with the old R12 And its about 3 lbs. R134A . I was seeing what size pusher fans cfm's and blades and sizes someone may have used , if they used 1 or2 fans to do the job.45 degrees is the target temp just got to get the old condenser which isn't designed well for R134a refrigerant to many fins not enough air flow threw them, and the tubes run different than after market condensers ,but changes the design.

KEVS79

Veteran Member
Mar 3, 2008
GLADSTONE, MO
I put a pusher fan on mine. The only one I could find that would fit is a 10 inch one. You have to remove the crossbars and hood latch mount to install then will have to put a spacer on the bars to reinstall them. I only mounted one on the left side for now but am probably going to put the another one on the other side. Here is the fan I used.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/imperial-electric-fan-10-diameter-226110/6016898-P#

KEVS79

Veteran Member
Mar 3, 2008
GLADSTONE, MO
Also, I just used the wire that used to go to the carb that increased the idle to turn the fan on/off. This way it comes on when the compressor comes on.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^Not a bad idea! :D

Use that circuit to trigger a relay to power the fan.
That wire/fuse isn't heavy enough for the load of a fan.

KEVS79

Veteran Member
Mar 3, 2008
GLADSTONE, MO
Twisted_Metal said:
^Not a bad idea! :D

Use that circuit to trigger a relay to power the fan.
That wire/fuse isn't heavy enough for the load of a fan.

Should have clarified. Thats what I did. I used that wire to trigger the relay for the fan.

patroll

Veteran Member
Nov 23, 2009
Jackson,S.C.
there are 2 wires that have 12 volts going to my old heavy a/c compressor. I replaced it with the a6 or s6 aluminum back. one goes to the compressor to engage the clutch the other was a superheat switch to cycle the compressor, I was thinking about that wire to use to a relay and run a straight fused wire to the fans off the battery . Then when you only turn on the a/c the fans will run . Put a hose pipe up to the 41 year old condenser and felt like ice was blowing out the vents. A/C is my specialty because I'm a licensed home a/c mech. . Been working all the kinks out ,car sat for over 20 years , had 3 kids had to put my favorite toy up, couldn't afford her. But I have pulled my toy out of the toy box. LOL

Latest posts