What size tires?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vlmohr, Aug 5, 2015.

1. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Trying to get my 79 ready to do some auto cross occasionally. I've got solid subframe bushings, subframe connectors, g-braces, moog 5610 springs in front and a 1 1/4 ft swaybar. Everything else is stock other than the drive train. I would like to keep the white letter tire look. I know it's not the best thing to keep the 15" tires, but I'm partial to the old school look.

I currently have 235/60R15 in the front and 255/60R15 in the back. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to go to something wider for only occasional track use or not. Will it make a drastic difference in times?

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I don't think it will matter much since you're using 15" tires and there just aren't any good sticky street tires out there in 15".

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lower the sidewall, less flex. If you're going to stay with 15" wheels, might try some 5o series tires. Doubt the track will let you run nascar spec tires.

4. Hoppie

Hoppie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You will have a completely different experience with the right tires. Do you currently need new tires to replace your old ones? If your tires are okay then do what a lot of autocrossers do and buy a race set. A set of Cragar soft 8s 17x8 and 245/45/17s will open you up to a ton of good sticky tires. I run Nittos Nt05 and they have pretty good manners while killing cones.

Tires will probably be the biggest noticeable upgrade, especially over 15 inch white letter tires. But taking your car with the tires you have on there now will still be fun and you will defiantly make a ton of noise. If you're going to just have fun leave it as is. Once you get bitten by the Auto-X bug you will probably go to better tires with a strong sidewall anyway.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Cragar soft 8s weigh like 12398461234 pounds lol but yes your idea is solid.

6. Hoppie

Hoppie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good Lord that's heavy. Just trying to get him to realize the jump to 17s does not have to be that expensive.

7. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. I currently don't need new tires. But I have been bitten by the bug. Did the auto cross on the Power Tour in Madison. It was a blast. But sliding all over. Partially due to bad (broken) front springs and probably the tires.

The extra set of wheels is a good idea but I doubt if I can persuade the Boss that it's a good idea. :D But it's worth a try. Otherwise I will wait till these are wore out and start looking at some 17s.