what the heck is this switch?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 70sbudget, May 16, 2011.

1. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

I like the switch on the floor for high beams.. but it is VERY prone to rust and corrosion down there. I had a problem with no headlights at all once.. had to kick the dang switch sideways to get them to come on.

I have another unique use for these floor switches!

Our big 25t Steyr trucks use one of these to activate the pneumatic exhaust brake! Sends an electrical signal to an air solenoid, shuts down the fuel lever on the governor, closes a flapper in the exhaust and chokes out the engine with backpressure.

Doesn't work when you turn off the power. Fun to mess with guys using the master power switch!

sorry to ramble on.. lol

2. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

The 81 Berlinetta I had - had the switch on the floor as well, so it had to be 82 or after that they changed it.

For some reason, I think it's cool that when I turn the high beams on in my 69 Chevelle, instead of a blue dot or some funky looking blue light emblem, instead I get a blue bowtie that lights up. I really like that. I guess that's when car manufacturers still cared about unique style for cars. Now everything is like universal looking.

3. You know your old when...lol

4. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

I knew there was a joke in there somewhere ! LOL

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't feel bad...I am still discovering new things about the 1970 while I am putting it back together!

It's been 21 years since I drove the car. I am certain I will be tugging on the turn signal by accident a few times to hit the brights! :D

6. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

my wife lizzy luvs the fact that the switch is on the floor , i as it seems many others forget that we are just alil bit older and remember when it was the norm .She has yet to use it and said she cant wait til she can lol

7. Lunaticz28

Lunaticz28 Member

LOL

8. RockerMomsHotwheels

RockerMomsHotwheels Veteran Member

Driving home with my 14 year old daughter the other night in the Rambler,she was in the front seat for the first time at night...As I dimmed the lights for oncoming traffic she looked at me and said,do the light do that automatically? I said no, oh the switch is on the floor and I clicked it back and forth between the high and low beams...She was all, WOW thats cool!!! All cars should be like that...Gota love it...Although, when turning into our driveway,trying to dim the lights cause a car was coming and down shifting at the same time was a pain but we lived through it...lol...

9. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

back in the late 80's, the rumor had it that they were going to put it back on the floor, because too many blondes were getting the foot stuck on the turn signal switch:eek:

10. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I remember when my kids started to use a rotary phone too.... about broke a rib laughing

[​IMG]