What to buy?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, May 25, 2018.

1. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Have you considered the earlier era Toyota Highlander? We drove ours to 200K+ with zero issues. I also think the styling has aged well.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Another vote for the Highlander. Nice solid quiet ride, easy to get in and out. Might not be in that price range. They seem to pull ridiculous money around here.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Don't even think about a later model Equinox or Terrain with a four cylinder. Just a disaster with all the timing chain failures and leaking fuel pumps that destroy the rings and pistons, cat. converters, O2 sensors. GM extended warranties on those but when that runs out it's all on you, and sure not cheap to rebuild/replace those engines. Beware!
    OTOH we had a 2014 Terrain with the V6, liked it so well we got a 2017 carbon copy - to avoid the 2018s with only four bangers under the hood. Those V6s are downright impressive. How about a Colorado/Canyon crew with that same motor?

djorgensen3 likes this.
  4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

My '93 only has about 95K on it. It doesn't even use oil worth mentioning. In 3000 miles it used one quart. The pedals are just too close together for my size 13's.

5. ol' grouch

I know one thing I WON"T be getting! I rented a 2018 Kia Sonata after I sold my road car. I loved it for about 50 miles. After 400, the seats were killing me. after 700 I began to actively hate the darn thing. I've got another 900 miles before I turn it in. :whine:

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I agree that the 2017 and earlier versions with the 4 cylinder are not the ticket.

But have you actually driven a 2018 with the 2.0L turbo 4? I just drove a 2018 on Friday with the 2.0L and was very impressed with it.

That engine is very impressive and has been around for several years with good results. Same engine as in my 2014 Cadillac ATS.

7. ol' grouch

The girlfriend has a 2015. Her last car was a 2011 Equinox and she likes the way it sits and she can get in and out. that's why I'm thinking of one. Her 2011 was an early one and she had lots of trouble with it. My ideal find would be an Explorer Sport trac. Especially if the wheels on my '93 Exploder will fit. They only have about 500 miles on the tires. Anybody know when, or if, they changed the bolt pattern on Explorers from 5 on 4 1/2?

tom3 likes this.
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I like that Sport Trac too, don't think they make it anymore? Missing the boat if Ford quit these. Also that new Nox/Terrain with the hipo four does have good reviews, but requiring premium gas at a 60 cent adder per gallon is a deal breaker, along with the downsize and price. Crew cab Colorado/Canyon is on our shopping list next time around.

Good luck with whatever you come up with, get what she wants at any rate.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Sister-in-law bought a new Kia SUV, larger size model. She likes it, good vehicle except for the noisy four cylinder engine. Kia really needs to come up with some sound deadening and motor mount upgrades in those things. But she doesn't know a spark plug from a screwdriver and she's totally satisfied. And no problems yet, unlike that Ford that took her two years to get the lemon law deal in place.

10. ol' grouch

Finally! I'm home and taking the rental back. 2000 miles in 6 days. It got fantastic fuel mileage. 28-29 mpg per fill up. The air would freeze you out and plenty of room. I loaded everybody for a day trip and we all fit fine.

However, it was noisy going down the road, the window sill was too high to rest my arm on and the arm rest was too low, and the seat feel like they were made from bricks. I liked the car for about 50 miles. I drove it for 2060 miles.