what to do?? motor help!!!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by wood0691, Apr 4, 2011.

1. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

this is my motor that had 2 roller lifters stuck and destroyed my cam. it has dart iron eagle heads, dont know valve size. bored .30 over and had roller rockers with girdle.

everybody is telling me to just buy a flattapet cam and lifter set with stock size haardend push rods nad put it back together. the block is good and bearings are good so ive been told, it only had very little rolled up metal in the oil pan, turned out to have a magnet in the pan along the bottom edge to catch it.
    does this sound right? does the valve size matter?

a picture of the lifters....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Ouch!

Check the lifter bores for damage. You could change to a flat tappet, but you will need to change to the appropriate valvesprings.

3. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

the heads are double springed,lifter bore is good, i was told to just take the inside spring out it would be fine. i am not at all a motor man so i wasnt sure if this would be a smart thing to do. i cant afford a real motor build with the works and wasnt sure if this way would be worth the effort or not.

4. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Time to pull the cam and look at the lobes. You may get away with regrinding the cam and replacing the lifters. Removing the inner springs may get the spring pressure in check, however if it doesn't you could wipe out the lifters in short order, putting you in the same position you are now, minus a few hundred bucks.