What to do? Opinions please

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ToolGuru, Jun 14, 2020.

EFI or carb.

1. FIRST TPI

21.4%
  2. Edelbrock Pro Flo XT

50.0%
  3. Carb

28.6%
  1. ToolGuru

ToolGuru Member

Hello, fellas. I am in a quandary and I hope you can help me decide. I have a Camaro. Mild 350. Car is built solid the right way. Doing some major upgrades in the next couple of weeks. Here’s the deal:

Swapping out 041 GM heads for Pro-Filer 185’s
    Changing cam from Comp Extreme Energy 262 to a retro roller 280/282 duration, .510/.492 lift, 108 lsa.
    Now the fun part. I bought a FIRST tpi unit about 8 years ago. Always liked the look of tpi but not the running out of power at 4800 rpm. The FIRST will make power up to 5800 rpm. A local Fuel Injection shop has said a FIRST with those heads will make around 430 hp and 500 tq at the crank. Strong. But, the FIRST is run by old tech as in a 32 year old GM ECM. It has a EBL Flash P4 installed so I can tune on the go and it self learns.
    I could go with the Edelbrock Pro Flo XT which is using the latest tech and software but will give up a little tq on the bottom for more HP at higher revs compared to the FIRST. Both of these systems will require a new fuel pump, lines, new gas pedal (mine is throttle rod type, not cable), VSS sensor, etc. I will need to learn tuning on both of them. Or I can keep everything in the car the same except put a more modern manifold (I have the original Performer from the 80’s) on and run my Speed Demon 650 or go with Sean Murphy Stage 2 Q-jet.
    Car is street driven and I live in Michigan so cooler temps can come into play.
    I would love the EFI but I know a well tuned carb will do the job.
    What would you guys do?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If money isn’t a concern, no question to use modern EFI. You won’t even notice single digit hp/tq numbers but you’ll surely notice how it runs.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the ProFlo 4 on my 385 engine. I'm well pleased with how it performs.

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

How about the Holley terminator ? I hear good things about those

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

EFI all the way. A well tuned carb is great!!!!.......until it isn't!....lol

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Going to be tough to pull 500ft lbs out of a 350, but your set up looks good.. I have proflo 3 xt on my big block... It's awesome

7. ToolGuru

ToolGuru Member

Do you run one? I’m going multi-port if I’m doing EFI. Too much work just to put a glorified carb on.

8. ToolGuru

ToolGuru Member

Im just quoting what the FI shop is telling me. 500 lb ft of torque would be great! So would 475 lb ft. That’s only going to be attainable with the FIRST. PRO Flo won’t get there.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

How is one fuel injection system going to be able to make 500 ft/lbs (or even 475) from a 350, when another one can't, if all else is equal? I'm sure it's possible with the right combo of parts, detail work and tuning, but all fuel injection does is optimize the mixture (and maybe timing) for whatever combination you have. If each system does it's job, one won't magically add that much more torque over the other.

10. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

not yet but I’m thinking about it abd I’ve heard good things about it

the reason I’m considering it is because it’s universal too.