What would make car ride smoother?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Z28-79, Jun 19, 2020.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

If you want just a smooth ride for a street car, or basic street cruiser, then just go to Summit Racing and get some basic Monroe shocks.

Very inexpensive and they're very good street shocks and still give pretty good handling with otherwise stock-ish suspension.

As far as the body bushings, again get some urethane bushings from Summit. I've been running the same urethane since I installed them in the early 90s and they've exhibited zero degradation.

STUCKINCALI and Z28-79 like this.
  2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

All those Cadillac Devilles that are still roaming the streets are riding on Monroe Max Air air shocks. Not much out there that rides better. You don't use them to jack up the rear end (like the old days), you just use them to get a nice level and compliant ride. The Gabriel air shocks seem to be junk for some reason. I have contemplated putting the Max Airs on my Camaro but I plan to drive it kinda hard so I will splurge for the Bilsteins.

Z28-79 likes this.
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Viking makes a good adjustable shock for the money, they are tough to beat. IMHO, Replace rubber bushings in the articulating joints in the suspension with a hard durable material (ie. delrin) and you won't believe the difference it makes. This allows the suspension to move smoothly and compliant over bumps without twisting up the rubber bushing adding more spring rate which in turn makes the ride harsher.

4. Z28-79

Z28-79 Veteran Member

Thanks for all of your replies, really appreciate it.

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to agree here. I've seen/driven plenty of 2nd gen with air shocks in the rear. As long as they are not pumped up like stupid stiff.....they DO have travel and can do a decent job. The idea is to level the car a bit, not jack it up 6 inches higher. A low to moderate PSI in them is the key. Had a 74 Firebied Formula and never had them more than about 40-45 psi. The car rode and handled nice.
    The worst ride I've ever had was in the Camaro I have now, after I put new stock springs on it front and rear. The car sat higher than a Circus Wagon and rode like a tank
    Took it all back apart, replaced them with better ones. So got to do that job twice....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Z28-79 likes this.
  6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

One other often overlooked thing here. Those rear leaf springs need each leaf to work separately for the best ride quality. Sounds weird I know. But jack up the back of the car under the frame so the wheels hang, separate each leaf a bit near the ends, (screwdriver works fine) and shoot some grease in the gap. Might be a pad of some sort there but with age and rust the spring turns into one big steel bar and loses it's compliance. Used to see racers clamp these springs together to make the back end solider.

DennisG and Z28-79 like this.
  7. joeparamonkey

joeparamonkey Member

This is where I bought my aluminum body mounts and subframe connectors

Z28-79 likes this.
  8. ZenBoy

ZenBoy New Member

+1 vote for the Bilsteins. I have a set on my ‘78 Z28, and I love them. Great control and ride quality, and very durable.

Z28-79 likes this.
  9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have Delco Gas Cushioned shocks with a life time warranty to the orig purchaser on my 70 Z28.
    Previously I had Koni adjustable shocks where the rears died and the pro rate was just like paying for new ones, I said nope.

Z28-79 likes this.
  10. Rustles

Rustles New Member

So, I feel honor and duty bound to recommend Keith at Customworks. Not only has he helped me with a complete new suspension but his product choices and recommendations have been excellent - I can't be happier with the way my car rides and handles. However, his help and those choices are based on my goals and preferences (and budget) for the car.

It would probably help this forum to give you more and better advice if we know a little more about how your car get's used, what your long term goals are and a little more specificity about your definition of "smooth" is. And maybe what you think is happening - does it "crash" on small bumps - are there lot's of squeaks and rattles?.

Your car and it's suspension are 40 years old and unless it's not typical most of the suspension is probably worn out. If you're lucky it's been maintained but at 40 years and probably 100,000+ miles you probably will have to consider replacing (as mentioned here) most, if not all of the suspension to get it back to original/stock handling and ride. Bushings, ball joints, and shocks are probably a minimum. But choosing the right replacements is the secret sauce. There's nothing inherently wrong with air shocks and as you can see there's a difference of opinion here. Koni, Bilstein, KYB, and Viking coilovers could be good shock choices depending on what you want and can afford. You can replace bushings with several materials (rubber, urethane, others).

And then there's the "budget" and what work can you do yourself..... I should also mention the Pozzi site for great info on the suspension and handling for the GenII. He and Keith (amongst others) are the wizards for the secret sauce.

pointman, Z28-79 and STUCKINCALI like this.