What would make car ride smoother?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Z28-79, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Darn spell check Lol....

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Damn... thanks man. No telling where my tablet learned that one.

Bandit723 likes this.
  3. DennisG

DennisG Member

On 1951 dodge car springs, after the leaf springs were greased and assembled, the factory wrapped them in canvas after that the fabric wrapped spring was encased in aluminum strips running around the spring. I had to reduce the number of leafs as I was running the car with its body removed and needed a softer springs. The fabric and metal kept the springs lubricated and clean.

I have wrapped leaf springs with cloth electrical tape but it splits as the springs flex. Anyone wanting to do this would be better off winding fabric and inner tube rubber around the spring...and accepting that over time oil will destroy it. In this case, the fabric protects the rubber

The change shows how some things were once done right but have cheapened as time went on.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

my camaro had air shocks in the rear since the 80's when my buddy owned it. i took them out this past winter and went back to regular shocks when i rebuilt my front end. they were installed to level the car out. mine was extra nose high until now. what a difference without them and the front rebuild. the car rides great with no rattles or harshness. night and day difference. rear springs were replaced a couple years ago.

Z28-79 and DennisG like this.
  5. DennisG

DennisG Member

I put air shocks on a speedster ( basically a chassis with a minimal body) and was not happy with the result. Its soft suspension had become hard and unyielding. On a 1800 lb car air shocks and air springs are not just a bolt in conversion. I tried two sets of air springs also and found that their odd properties were for me, useless. I went to coil springs to get the suspension I needed. After experimenting for a year, I found that seat springs are part of the design. So if a car feels like it rides too hard check to see if the seat is a stock one with springs. Foam seats felt comfortable until the car was rolling. Seat springs can't be ignored.

Z28-79 likes this.