What would you build?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by lancerus, Apr 16, 2014.

1. lancerus

lancerus Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been sitting on a "rebuilt" (never started) engine for over 8 years now (I picked it up that way). Ok its time - my 71 needs help. To be safe I decided to tear it down and drop it all off at a machine shop for cleanup b/c I saw rust from sitting. Then the bad news, the "rebuild" was crap. The crank is actually bad (needs to be cut), it needs pistons, valves are worn - etc. Gee, glad I tore it down.

Block: 3970010 (bottom end studded)
    Heads: 3947041

Ok, so now the question -- what would you build?

a) rebuild it
    b) buy a crate motor (the base crate motor ~= about the same cost I was given for "a")
    c) since it needs crank work, pistons, rings, bearings anyway -- buy a complete bottom end assembly and make it a 383

Thoughts ?

Rest of the drivetrain is a TH400 + 3.08 posi.

Thanks!

2. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

If it needs a new rotating assembly, a 350 kit is almost the same price as 383 kit.

3. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The long stroke of a 383 is fun on the street, for a mild performance build the 041 heads are decent too. It's easy for all of us to spend your money, but in the end it's your wallet and your car. Do you have a power number in mind? What's your intended use for the car? For low end grunt it's hard to beat a 383, lots of crate options available there. As far as building one yourself or having a machine shop do it it can be high dollar and time consuming, in some cases the block has to be clearanced as well as the rods. If it were mine I would build the 350, recon the rods, arp rod bolts, a good set of hyperutectic flat tops mild bowl clean up on the 041's 3 angle valve job, one of the smaller lunati voodoo grinds and have a nice cruiser.

4. lancerus

This car is setup to be a cruiser, and needs to do long hauls. At the same time I'd like to have some "fun" with it. The engine that is in it right now is soooo tired its like driving grandma's car. A trailer queen or race car it is not. A good looking "enjoyed" car it is. Hopefully that answers the purpose.

5. fatkid_racing

For longevity and reliability it's hard to beat a mildly built 350. There are some guys here that are a little more up to speed on options than myself, they'll chime in with some good advice soon. But I'm still sold on the mild 350 idea. Scat and eagle cranks can be had for less than $200 bucks, stock rods resized with new hardware will be more than sufficent, the 041's in stock form are plenty for a 300 horse street build, lunati 60102 voodoo with a mild dual plane and some headers will be good enough to make you smile, have a decent idle, pull good vacuum. Be selective when choosing pistons, most "rebuilder" pistons tend to have a shorter compression height and you'll lose quench. If that seems like too much to take on you can get a good deal on either the 260 horse or 290 horse gm crate engines.

6. lancerus

That makes sense. The machine shop I'm working with has been around for 35+ years -- so I trust him. I've just been out of the game for a long time and back then I built pontiacs (so I have alot to learn again). Thanks !!!

7. fatkid_racing

One more note on the 041 heads, they can be quite valuable depending on the date codes. If you go vortec or aftermarket on the heads hang on to them, they could be good trade bait or worth some cash for a matching numbers hipo 350 guy. Don't let anybody beat you out of them.

8. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Get you a 5.3 ls do a cam and head swap and GO! From just researching parts 383 are just as expensive as a big block and both are more expensive than an ls swap UNLESS you get crazy with the ls motor. There's a thread where a guy does ls swaps for less thanks 1500$

9. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Why in the world would you buy a new stock stroke crank when cost is the same for a stroker? More power across the entire band. Even if it's just a cruiser, it doesn't make sense to build less power for the same money. I know a lot of guys with 500hp on tap that wish they had more...some with 750hp are the same way.
    Bang for the SAME bucks, 383 FTW.

10. lancerus

'69 heads.
    Date code: G 15 8

The block was from a '74 police car.