What would you build?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by lancerus, Apr 16, 2014.

1. lancerus

lancerus Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The price I'm at right now (if I rebuild the 350, choice "a") is about 1400. I originally was looking at an LS/4l80e swap ... but decided no this pass b/c: I'm short on time (to get the 71 working right), I didnt want to deal with the gas tank (fuel pump), shortening the driveshaft, crossmember, wiring, making sure it all fits (I have factory a/c), etc etc. Besides, I have a 78RS in my other garage that would love to be the mule for an LS swap when I start working on that one :)

For the 383 - a bottom end kit is about a grand, I have to talk to the machine shop how much the labor would run to go this route. So if my 1400 grows to, say, 2000, (wild guessing), it might be worth it. That's what i'm trying to sort out.

2. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

"It's easy for all of us to spend your money, but in the end it's your wallet and your car."

^That's the truth^ I agree with fatkid racing. I'd build the 350 (machine the crank you have) if your going to use stock type heads. Do the 383 and get a set of entry level aluminum heads if you want the extra 100 horsepower along with the extra cost it's going to take. Don't forget you'll need to upgrade the trans, stall converter and rearend for the higher horsepower levels.

3. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

You should throw away that 010 block and 041 heads, I'll give you my delivery address later. Then buy a new GM crate motor with a great warranty.

Rebuild that motor.
    Are the main and rod journals out of round and out of spec? Or do they have visible scratch lines? A quick polish to ensure there are no raised areas maybe what it may need.
    Those scratches retain oil. Since a SBC bypasses the filter 40% of the time, a bunch of scratches is normal after a few miles. A new set of rings and bearings may be all you need on the lower end.
    The 041 heads are highly sought after in many circle track areas. They are a 69 and 70 year production only on the 10.25:1 350/300 4 bbl. You can spend a lot of money on them with new valves (SS Manley valves) Seats ground and lapped. You may need new guides which is before the valve job. Set up the springs for the cam you have chosen would be last.

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

For 2k in "most" places you can get a complete pullout 6.0 with the Tranny and all the wiring I've even seen some for 1500. Then the gas tank you can get with the fuel pump in it brand new direct for for just a little over 300$. Then other than that you'll just need your harness re worked and computer flashed. All really depends on what engine and route you choose. But either way good lucky!

5. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

With that 3.08 rear gear,I go with a 383 with a very mild cam for your long hauls.

6. lancerus

Thank you everyone for all of the advise - I *really* appreciate it. Spent a bunch of time at the machine shop today going over the options. The good news is the block and heads are in great shape. Decided to go the rebuild path. The list is *long* for what I want to do to this car (17" rims, Baer brakes, better front seats, new dash, etc, etc) - I need to balance it all out. I''ll have it back next week, then its time to rip into the car. Woohoo !!!

7. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Have fun with your new project. Her's a bit of advice from someone who's committed the following sin and lived to regret it. Always try to keep the car in a driveable or running condition, unless your doing a frame off restoration. Tearing the car down to a point where you can't drive or enjoy it, then having it sent for months (or years) in a non-driveable state can quickly suck motivation out of you. One upgrade at a time grasshopper, one upgrade at a time, lol.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. lancerus

Oh I hear ya. Years ago I completely redid everything below the floor (suspension, axles/bearings, exhaust, brakes). That was a quick 2-month stint prepping for the HRPT. Didnt touch the engine/tranny ... and as luck would have it blew a head gasket on that trip. (crap heads were on the car from a bad rebuild). Threw a different set of heads on it (band-aide), worked on a few other areas of it - but kept it a driver to shows, etc.

This year (and I'm targeting another 2 month stint), its the complete drivetrain b/c I dont trust any of it. I've been collecting the parts over the past 2 months to stage the work. This car has to be back together by Aug to break-in for a long-haul in Oct.