What's your idea of Low mileage?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CamaroMan79, Mar 25, 2016.

1. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is everyone's opinion on what low mileage means? I am speaking in terms of gasoline powered trucks.

I am thinking of buying a newer truck. I have a 92' f250 with a 460 that has been a terrific truck and still is but It is a long bed 2wd I used for camping and hauling trailers long distance when I was younger. I bought it with 70k on it and put another 150k on the odometer. Only thing I've ever had to replace is a waterpump plus the basics every vehicle requires. I am wanting to move up to a 4wd truck for winter use and pulling a smaller trailers. I see pickups listed everywhere (at dealers and on Craigslist) that say in bold letters "low mileage" and then when I look at them or inquire about them they have 100k or more on the clock. This is mind boggling to me. I have been looking at 2004 and up Chevys and Fords.

To me 100,000 miles is not a low mileage vehicle especially on one that is less than 10yrs old. Sure, 100k might not be a lot of miles on a 20yr old vehicle in respect to its age but that is still not low mileage. I can't get over how much these "low mileage" trucks are going for!

I stopped and looked at a 2006 Silverado today at a GM dealer and on the window it said "low, low miles". The price was a little high but I figured since it has low miles the price wasn't too bad. I get looking at it and it has 118k on the clock. I asked the salesman, "I though this is a low mileage truck?" In which he replied, "it is".

Apparently I live in a different dimension then everyone else I guess.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just bought a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pre Runner with 54k original miles

3. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

^^^^** I'd consider the Taco low mileage

4. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

I figure anything less than 10k per year of vehicle age is considered low now .. I think they used to figure 12k, and now it has been upped to 15k

So no that 2006 Silverado isn't low mileage to me either :)

~DaVe

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Low miles is NOT more than 100K. 25,000 for a few year old car to under 75,000 for something older. I saw one at a dealership near my house that looked great. It had $17,995 on the windshield and "low miles" next to it. It had 170K on the clock. My Expedition has 270,000 on the clock but I only paid $2000 and I'm pretty sure the engine and transmission have been replaced.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

A 10 year old truck with 118,000 miles is low mileage.

Why?

Because most 10 year old trucks have 150,000 or more on them.

It used to be (back when I was a kid) that anything over 60,000 miles was nearly used up. It wasn't until the 80's that I first took a vehicle over 100,000 miles.

Since the 90's, I've taken cars/trucks over 200,000 miles and they were still good vehicles.

Don't know that I'll ever get one over 300,000 miles - as I have too many vehicles to use any one of them that much.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The term "low mileage" is just a sales term that has no true meaning. To the salesman selling a vehicle, "low mileage" can be any mileage as long as he finds someone to buy it. To the buyer, it can mean anything too. A buyer who demands a true "low mileage" vehicle is different than one who just wants "that car" and believes what a salesman says.

8. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

LOL it's a relative term. low miles for me is anything under 100k a new car with 10k miles on it should be 1yr old or about that fro low miles. I go by the 12000 mile rule. If you car is new and you put 12k on it in one year then your average. Less then that, it's low mileage. Like my 04 srt-4 i have 84k miles on it. That is low mileage.
    Plus you can have a car with 20k that has been beat to snot but get a 100k creampuff.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have 5 vehicles. If I used salesman figures, all of them are low mileage. By my figures, only 1 is low mileage. So, the term means nothing.

10. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 2007 F-150 with 92K miles. I consider it low mile and it feels new to me still.
    The thing is I know what the truck has been through from mile zero !!
    Would I buy a 92K mile used truck ? NO WAY !!
    It's just up to you what your needs, money, and thoughts are.