What's your idea of Low mileage?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CamaroMan79, Mar 25, 2016.

1. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Low mileage is under 15k miles per year.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Low mileage or low mileage for the year? Personally I don't care if the car is 20 years old...if it has 100,000 miles on it, it's still high mileage to me.

Under 50k is a comfortable mileage for a car. Mileage related to the year affects value not really mechanicsl condition.

I rather have a 35k mile 2015 Truck than a 75k mile 2000 Truck as long as I'm paying what it's worth,

One of the classic phrases people use that I hate! " excellent condition for its age". And that means.....

3. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For me 10,000 miles a year or less is what I would consider low. Type of mileage is more important. Living in Texas and putting 100,000 miles on a car doing highway driving at 2000 rpm is on thing. 75,000 miles for a car in NYC is another.

4. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

The last low mileage vehicle I bought was new. People are correct in saying "low mileage" means different things to different people. I personally would pick a 100,000 "highway" mile vehicle, over a 50,000 mile "short trips around town" vehicle. Short trips equals sludge, rotting exhaust, milky heads, etc.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just meant low mileage in general, not age based.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The look on service writers or mechanics when they check the mileage on my truck is priceless LOL!!! . They think they're seeing trip mileage not actual mileage

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

75K and below on anything older than 15 years
    Only vehicle I would consider "low mile" with 100K on it would be powered by a diesel motor

8. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My new daily driver is a 95 grand prix with 93k. While that's good in theory, I'll venture a guess most of those miles were short trips. The exhaust was rotted and the oil I changed looked like absolute crap. I'll be doing another oil change at 2000 miles rather then my usual 10k. Part of that comes from a bad thermostat so the engine isn't getting up past 180.

Terms like low mileage, original, mint, etc are so subjective that they have no real meaning.

9. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

I would go with average miles or more a year....from working on cars everyday, the low milers tend to have sludge problems from not getting used. I bought my daily driver with 155k on it, and one of the reasons I bought it was when I pulled the oil cap, the aluminum heads on the inside still looked a nice new grey. To me that tells me, the oil was changed frequently, and that it got driven.

A lot of times when I see vehicles that come into the shop, with internal engine problems, the inside of the motor has that brownish red color everywhere, or even chunks of sludge everywhere...If you are going to buy used, just look for one that has been maintained, the fluids look in newish color, and it doesn't have many to zero leaks. Those are the things that cost you in the long run, in my opinion.

10. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member