Wheel backspacing

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Elliott Taylor, Nov 24, 2020.

1. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

Wow!You had a lot combinations.Do you have a that set of epsilons still around?I'm looking for a set of mesh style in 15"or16" 8" to 10"wide to fit a 2nd gen.I want to have a set for the street.Thanks for all the info.

2. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

Sorry, I sold the Epsilons a while back. Take care

3. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

Did you every get your wheels and tires, I’d like to see some pictures.. thx..

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the tires mounted on the rims, just not mounted to the damn car, HAA HA , had a few things jump in front , and now aI am not sure what to do , except ruin the tires as it said not to expose them to 40 degree or lower temp??? not sure what thet is about, so I am sure if the cold will ruin them then they are done,even though I had them filled with NO2 , nitrogen , let me see if I can find pictures of the rim and tire Forgeline rear2.JPG Forgeline rear3.JPG Forgeline fronts 1.JPG Forgeline rear2.JPG Forgeline rear3.JPG Forgeline fronts 1.JPG Forgeline rear1.JPG

Jodi likes this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Wheels and tires look really good. The air we breathe is almost 80% nitrogen...classic automotive scam... not sure why the temp limit?? I can see it being a safety issue, they dont want u wiping out in freezing weather and blaming the tires.

6. EasyZ

EasyZ Member Gold Member

Awesome Dave!! They look great. I think that Temp limit is BS. What type of wheels are they? Are they Ridler’s? They look as close as I’ve seen to stock that are 18”. I’ve been looking at trying to keep my 73 looks as original as possible but want to modernize a smig to get a better ride and handling. I was looking at the Ridler 645. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

7. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3 piece forgelines , it is there hertiage ? line that they made some rim for a country singer I think, he needed that style of rim for his Chevelle ?? They looked like what I wanted , I wanted 18 that looked like the stock rims, and have the ability to change the BS and sizes easy , the big advantage to the 3 piece rims, I am sure there are other advantages as well, that is the one I liked about them, and the nitrogen part that I liked is it is fatter , and has a hard time leaking down, or so they say, HAA HA

SPG likes this.
  8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

.The temp issue s all about the tread compound and how it reacts in the cold weather. I had this issue on a set of summer Pirellis and it is about the tread compound.

You have a soft tread compound on a summer tire for better road traction. Once the temp gets below a certain point the tread compound gets progressively harder and below 40* they become unsafe. At that point the friction from driving doesn't get the tire warm enough for the tread compound to be effective.. The front tires will chatter in turns as they slip and then grab and the rear is just more prone to get loose on you like you are driving on snow or ice.....

Or something like that....

Here is some direct information from Continental's website on summer tire ompounds and cold weather...

"The rubber compound on summer tires is designed for warm weather. As the temperature drops, the rubber stiffens. Even if there is no snow or ice, the tire loses traction"

"Even on dry roads without ice and snow, winter brings colder temperatures. Summer tires are not built for cold weather. The tire tread will stiffen. In addition to reducing traction, this poses a risk to the tire itself.

The tire loses its elasticity and may crack. There's a risk of chipping of the overly stiff thread block. Chipped and cracked tires are not safe to drive on and must be replaced
    ."

Soooooo, not BS...

Ho, ho, ho!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Zee likes this.
  9. biker

biker Veteran Member

That is logical. So simple exposure to cold doesnt render them useless. They can sit in the cold until summer when you are ready to roll.

10. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I switch over to winter tires on our daily drivers when temperature dips lower than 7 degrees Celsius.
    The summer tires are then stored inside the garage which is not heated and they are just fine.