Wheel squeaking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by pomartin, Jul 15, 2021.

1. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Check the opposite side of where you think the squeak is while driving. Sounds travel oddly backwards.

2. pomartin

pomartin Veteran Member Gold Member

Actually when it starts squeaking it also squeaks when I lift the car and turn wheel by hand, so it should be easy to figure out which side it is. I did it once in the past but forgot which side it is :D

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is almost certainly not a bearing. They don’t squeak. Metal on metal (or brake pad) squeaks. Bearings make a grinding noise and when you spin the wheel by hand you will most likely feel it. If you don’t have any play in the wheel you are probably fine. If you are concerned about your bearings for other reasons don’t waste the time changing them.
    Just verify the castle nut isn’t over tightened.

As others have said the squealing is a brake pad or some other metal on metal rubbing. If the noise is a constant squeal as the wheel rotates it is also likely not a warped rotor. That would make a squeak once every rotation.

Since it happens when turning the sideways forces are making something contact or creating a vibration of the pad. The dust shield is definitely a candidate. And again as others have said clean everything up. Take the caliper off, don’t try and do it on the car. I have had good luck with the anti squeal goop that goes behind the brake bad. Kills any vibration that might cause the squeal.

MChamp likes this.
  4. pomartin

Today I managed to replace the rotors and rebuld calipers, also put new brake pads in.
    Flushed the system since I was at it :p
    The squeak-per-turn wheel had quite some play in the bearing and rotor sides were unequally worn. It was also bent around 0.5mm measuring at the outer diameter. I did not find other defects.
    Weather permitting, tomorrow is a test drive.

Many thanks for all your help guys!

BillyDean7173 and MChamp like this.
  5. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

you did put the goop/spray on the back of the pads right?? \m/

6. pomartin

I did yes, thanks.
    Test drive is postponed due to a leak in the brake system.

It appears bleeding screw on caliper is leaking- very small leak, but it is a leak.
    When rebuilding the caliper I remember I attempted to install a new bleed screw, but due to a strange feeling I stopped installing it and reused the old one.

I assume the tapered part does not seal. Is there any standard procesure on how to address this?

7. pbar

pbar New Member

This type of squeal (it's more like a constant whistle) can be caused by the edge of the brake pad just catching on the disc. It happens after driving for a while as everything heats up and expands just enough for it to catch. Wheels do have slight play which is why the noise stops when cornering. A solution is to remove the pad and chamfer/file the edges slightly. I have a Capri which does this. Certainly, some BMW's have been known to suffer a lot, and the main dealer fix when a customer takes their car with this complaint to them, is to chamfer the brake pad edges.

8. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

Yes, the taper makes the seal in the bore. Possibly some debris keeping it from seating all the way? You might could try removing the bleeder again and spray some brake cleaner into the bore (careful of your eyeballs!). You can also apply a tiny bit of thread sealer on the bleeder screw. G'luck!

9. pomartin

Looks like there was no leak, just some oil that stayed in the bleed screw and found its way down and up through the threads.
    Cleaned the area, pumped pedal like crazy and nothing leaked.
    Looks like a nice weather tomorrow, so I'll finnaly be able to test new brakes :D

10. pomartin

Solved :D no more squeaking :)
    Thanks again for all the help, you are great :bowtie:

MChamp and BillyDean7173 like this.