Whelp suspension question. 79 Z28

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by defiant1, Jan 1, 2016.

1. defiant1

defiant1 Member

Has anyone used stock Z wheels and done a nice lowered suspension. I have a red 79 z and I really like the stock wheels, thinking of a good update on the suspension with a lowered stance, I could still consider the year one 17" and paint those to match body color, probably would have better tire choices at least. Thinking of using a DSE suspension just not sure about the stock wheels[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your brakes rotor size will drive the requirement for larger wheels. You should have no problem lowering it.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

Hotchkis springs

4. defiant1

defiant1 Member

Looks nice with stock wheels.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Without a doubt the tires a larger diameter wheel will offer you are the best handling improvement you'll find.
    In general I'd recommend going to 18" instead of 17" wheels. The 17" size is starting to disappear as the OE's are no longer using them on "big" applications.

Have you ever replaced your Subframe bushings?

6. defiant1

defiant1 Member

Good point lowend, I was looking at vintage wheel works last night, they had a couple I liked in an 18". No I have not replaced my subframe bushings yet, I will right along with my suspension upgrades. I am hoping to get it all done by April.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are 17" and 18" wheels out there That have the same look.You would just have to paint them. I have 17 x 8" wide wheels on my 79 Z-28 . They aren`t stock style rims but you can adjust ride just by tire diameter. Until you decide what type of suspension you can afford.