When did simple math get so hard?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by M1 Master Gunner, Oct 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M1 Master Gunner

M1 Master Gunner Veteran Member

Tonight I bought items from HyVee (local grocery store). The items totaled $16.37 and I handed her a $20 and 37 cents in change. The register female (college age) could not figure out how much change to give me. Really??
    A week ago I tried to buy something at a convenience store for about $5 and gave the clerk a $10. She gave me change for a $20 and I had a hard time convincing her that she gave me too much change.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I always try to include the "coins" to make it an even number of "bills" for change.

I have to explain the proper "change" to return half the time. :confused:

Cashiers only seem to know how to take payment with plastic cards anymore.

La.Z8 and carr911 like this.
  3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I pay with my watch and laugh at the people digging in their pockets for cash. Remember when getting in line to have the person in front of you pay with a check and it took forever, I feel that way about cash people. LOL

tom3 and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Couldn’t count the number of times that’s happened to me. Had them tell me they already punched in the “20” that I had in my ha d as I was grabbing my change from my pocket and that their till would be off???? Like uh nooo. I give you the .60something cents extra and you just give me a $5 bill. Could almost see the pebbles rolling around behind their eyes. Clearly in disbelief of what I was saying to him like I was trying to rip them off for a few cents.

La.Z8 and Zstar like this.
  5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I went to a "big box" home store recently to buy a small item. I took my item up front, 5 dollar bill in hand and guess what? There were only self-check registers open, which is no surprise, but they were all "Card Only". I was told that to use cash I had to go to the customer service counter. After 10 minutes of waiting in line behind a couple with an intractable problem, I gave up and left. I suppose I need to get prepared for a cashless society. Sigh.

Zstar likes this.
  6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

oh...this is a long road....over the past yr I probably have not touched "cash" just because its the dirtiest thing on the planet..given the last yr and a half worth of "stuff" out there.BUT when I did use cash you are 1000% correct...so many folk have NO clue what basic coin denominations are. Like $19.65 item...give her a $20.15....she gives me back the .15 ...then 2 dimes ...HELLO i wanted the 2 quarters...for the .50 gumball machine BESIDE YOU...but I bet they can type 40 words a minute on their facebook page!

Zstar likes this.
  7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I refuse to use credit cards because they hold up the line and don't work right. If a store can't or won't take my cash, my business goes elsewhere and I never go back.
    There is never any fraud with cash, but it is a common thing with plastic.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

This thread reminds me of that insurance commercial series on "how not to turn into your parents". Acting like paying cash in today's world is like having an endorsement to your man card busts me up.

Nothing like waiting for grandpa to pull out all his change and pick through the lint and hold up the line for 10 minutes.

Zstar, budro6968 and McCune like this.
  9. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

It is so bad. Counting change just to confuse the cashier and then go on the internet to tell everyone how stupid American citizens are and use tech to do it? Classic!

tom3 and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  10. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

It's because the schools make math hard....Common core crap. The old math worked just fine.

2540-Math.jpg

Zstar and 70-camaro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.