When did simple math get so hard?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by M1 Master Gunner, Oct 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Doesn't mean that the bonehead at the cash register knows the difference between a Quarter and a Nickle

gramps likes this.
  2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

But it's just a whole lot easier to insert card and out these days. Especially at the pump. And those check writers that think they're making a piece of art while 5 people wait to check out. Now time for my Metamucil.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I had a job at Friendly's as a dishwasher. One day I was called out front to run the cash register. I was 16? "1976" I never ran one Before. I had a line of like 20 people all pissed B/C the person that quit left them standing there while someone that had no experience running that old machine was like um.... I started doing the deed but got a panic freeze and my brain did not compute. The lady I was trying to cash out spoke to me with a very kind and soothing voice. She said look at me. Start with the smallest. The pennies and count back. I was like ok. Boom crisis intervention. Thankfully there was a nice person to help instead of make it worse. What a crappy place to work. Min wage was 1.90 for me. I just needed gas money for my 70 Hornet.

carr911 likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

my day.jpeg

5. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

I always pay with cash, except use the debit card at the market and for gas. Always run into issues with anyone under maybe 25, that is not sure about the change. I also had an issue at Newport Creamery (RI thing, ice cream shop). The price came out to lets say 4.02. I said to her, here is 4 dollars. She was so adamant on getting that 2 cents that I had to give her another dollar. I don't think the manager is going to fire her for being short 2 cents for the day.

With everything going paperless and digital, much by design, they are clueless. Try showing them a non-digital clock and have them try to tell you the time. I knew a group of college students, where one had a towel given to him by his grandmother. It was a towel with cartoon like clocks on them. These 20 year olds did not know what a clock looked like. So it would not surprise me they would not recognize what change is if they go all digital.

6. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

alot cant deal cash but i cant get by a flipphone, just a changing of the guard

7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Another thing that’s become a “thing” lately is a push from the government to have the banks report all transactions in and out of your bank account over $600 to the IRS for investigation. Now while I believe that has at least been squashed for the moment - I really don’t like the idea of people watching what I spend my money on. The money is taxed going in income) and taxed again going out(sales tax) Leave me alone.

In God we trust, All others pay cash.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Supposedly this is to keep track of the wealthy to insure they're paying their due taxes. But it's real obvious what the goal actually is. For one, Ebay now deposits proceeds from any sale to a bank account. You get over $600 and a bell rings at the IRS watchdog house. The Little People get the shaft yet again. Need to find a way to sell stuff for cash and not get knocked in the head and robbed.

70-camaro likes this.
  9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've waited far longer behind a customer trying to use card after card only to have them all rejected. Then, they argue with the cashier that they should fix it for them. Or, I wait because the card reader cannot read the card or authorize it. And, that is getting even worse as they switch to cards with with the RFI chip that can't be read.

One day I waited and the card holder was finally asked to step aside and let me ring up my purchases with cash and leave. He was still waiting when I left.

M1 Master Gunner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.