When to install subframe connectors

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by SPG, Jun 4, 2020.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

That diagram was very helpful. I dropped plumb bobs, put tape on the floor, marked the points and measured between them to make sure everything was Square. I did this after my connectors and braces were welded in. Not the greatest idea. It was reassuring to at least know the dimensions were correct once the frame was level and supported. I had my car on Tire cribs when I weld it in my subframe connectors and the frame horn brace on the front. Thank God I had everything straight when I did my welding or it would have been a catastrophe. I lucked out big-time.

2. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

3. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

4. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

I think installing it on level ground when all 4 wheels are level should work. I did it with the car unloaded and with sway bars disconnected. I used Hiedts bolt on subframe connectors on my 1971 Z28 Camaro. After extensive testing on skidpads and autoxs, I saw no improvement in handling performance. Also they hang low, and scraped going over driveways and unlevel pavement. I removed them. The extra weight did not compensate for lack of improvement. Perhaps if welded in it might make a difference. Dont know. I did not want to weld in the subframe connector. The Detroit Speed subframe connectors are welded in, and do not scrape over driveways. I never installed them because it requires cutting up the car, and I want to keep my original Z28 from being cut up which is required for the installation of the Detroit Speed subframe connectors.

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Even if that is true, I still require them due to having a torque arm, it's how it connects to the rest of the car
    I plan on welding all mounting points into the car as bolting it in doesn't seem as though you'd gain anything.

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

It's been 3 months, I'm going to bring this thread back as I have the torque arm in my garage now and I need to weld the brackets to my car.
    Though not specifically SFC should I weld the seems on the bottom of the car? or is it just wasted effort
    I recall seeing a thread about that a bit ago but I can't seem to find it.
    [​IMG]

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Is the thread you were looking for? https://nastyz28.com/threads/chassis-stiffening-without-a-cage.321106/

On bare metal/stripped to a shell projects like yours, it's definitely worth stitch welding the floors to the rockers, and rear frame rails to the floors. In other areas just check the factory welds are sound. It's not unusual to find sections where the spot welds missed their target or have popped loose.

SPG likes this.
  8. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity, what are these brackets for? How do they fit under the car....trying to picture it.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

They're brackets for a torque arm, these weld to the framerails. These specifically are for the watts link and the shock mounts

5857-f22-02_8_.jpg
    [​IMG]

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Does anyone know if the spot welds on a 2nd gen have seam sealer in between them? because that would be the biggest pita if I do stich welds