Where are my Ford experts at?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by AllensaurusRex, Aug 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Among the calibration people I've worked with, a "robust" open loop calibration is considered one where the short and long term fuel corrections are a multiplier of "1" once closed loop fuel is enabled, i.e., they're not doing anything to the open loop cals. Of course, with a car with that many miles, there could be some degradation in the air or fuel systems, such that closed loop fuel corrections have to compensate. And one never knows where there particular car ended up with normal part parameter specification.

One other thing I might mention - the O2 sensors usually read lean during a misfire. All that extra oxygen, unconsumed by the unburnt fuel.

2. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. I will pull the o2 sensor sometime in the next week and see what happens. I'm ready for some LOUD driving haha.

3. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

UPDATE: It was a clogged catalytic converter. This Ranger has 4 total and the first one was completely obliterated on the inside causing a blockage/clog. Ordered a California specific emissions one and got it bolted up and VIOLA. Back in action. I hope this helps some sad sap in the future.

4. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

I just knocked mine out yesterday on my 07 F150 with 250k on it. Both sides were plugged and the passenger side looked like it went into meltdown. Zero dollar fix.

5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad you found it. I wonder why the converter diagnostic didn't pick that up.