where to find decent door lock knobs and ferrules?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by ericj205, May 16, 2005.

1. ericj205

ericj205 Veteran Member

Is it me or are the ones mady by HELP really pathetic looking, especially the ferrules. Instead of shiny chrome they're dull, scratched pot metal.

Where can I get a set of nice ones?

2. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just got a couple of nice ones from National Parts Depot (NPD) ... die-cast zinc and chrome plated... very nice .... $9.95 pair, part# C-10559-3

3. ZootsuitZ

ZootsuitZ Veteran Member

I have stacks used we can polish a set for $8 shipped. as per the lock stems I have only found the crappy ribbed ones repop. Hard to find good GM units.

4. scott sabinson

scott sabinson Veteran Member

i went to a salvage yard. they put the same lock knobs in cars all the way up to at least '86. i found a nice set of ribbed ones in a '70 cadillac coupe de ville.

------------------
    scott--one owner '72 RS

5. Major Dad

Major Dad Guest

I agree w/ what Scott said. There are tons of them left in the junk yards. Just check any 70's model GM car.

I'll let you all in on a little secret too. There were many, many parts that were interchangeable among GM cars. You know the rear defroster for the 71-78 model Camaros - I found one at my local junk yard. It was in a 76 Pontiac Ventura.

So, in short, don't pass over those GM cars made in the 70s. You just might find the gem that you've been looking for.

By the way - that rear defroster out of the Ventura set me back $5.

6. scott sabinson

scott sabinson Veteran Member

i could kick myself. i was at a junkyard a couple of weeks ago and found an almost skeleton of a '76 camaro. it still had the rear window in and it also had the rear window defogger motor still in it. i didn't have the right tools with me to remove it, so i told myself i'd get it in a couple of weeks. i went back today and they apparently had crushed the car already. while i was there i looked at every other GM car for one. no luck, but i did find a '66 impala that had the same cutouts in the metal under the rear dash where a defogger would go. definetely look at every single GM car at least from 1966 for them. i know i am. i already have a switch from a '73 malibu and a grill from a '66 toronado. all i need now is the motor.

------------------
    scott--one owner '72 RS

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Veteran Member

8. ericj205

ericj205 Veteran Member

yeah, those are them, but i need the ferrules too

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Veteran Member

Yeah... I can't say I have ever seen those on ebay before. I would suggest a automotive store like pep boys or autozone etc. I'll check around my area (So. Cal) and see if I can find anything that looks decent and matches mine.

I'll let you know if I find anything!

10. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member