Where to ground?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Shields, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I just got some 1 gauge wire and am looking for a decent spot to ground my amps to, my mdf board bolts up to the trunk divider, an theres just enough from for wiring to sneak between the divider and the MDF board, where can I ground my amps? I want to keep the wire hidden. I could easily just ground it off the actual divider but I would like some opinions

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Grind the paint or primer back off the divider sheet metal, drill a hole and bolt the terminal down, you'll be good to go.

3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

I have yet to put anything into cars like ours, but from what I understand you should attach a ground wire from the battery negative post to the rear frame rails. Our cars are similar to a unibody, but instead of the entire car being tied into one frame, there is a subframe the front clip attaches to, then it's bolted to the rear half of the car underneath the floorboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subframe

The jest of it is, there are no real solid sections of the car that are connected well enough to be capable of handling the type of load an amplifier is going to put on the electrical system. Additional connections are recommended.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

as AJ stated...

Basically you need to daisy chain ground everything
    Battery negative --> frame rail
    frame --> motor
    frame to body shell

to ensure things work well. ;)