Which aftermarket efi

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by simso, Apr 23, 2020.

1. simso

simso Veteran Member

So much information on efi systems.

From my undetstanding, old school v8 with efi will struggle to match an ls motor for engine response dollar for dollar spent.

so amongst all the aftermarket systems what is a good choice for 79 sbc, looking for ease of startup, smooth throttle response and reliabilty, of course and value, love the look of the xt pro flo 4, but with import fees and exchange rates that is a cost of over 4k to me here in australia

steve

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A couple of us are using the ProFlo 4 with good results. However, I think I could wrestle with a carburetor for a while before shelling out 4K for efi.

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I have had the ProFlo series 1 (installed from 1998 - 2018) and had very good results, 540HP/520TQ engine. I recently switched to Holley Dominator because I had a lot of add on things I found for my ProFlow (data loggers, computer tunner etc).

Yes later ProFlo had this stuff but the Dominator is the Mac Daddy with all programming options. I have eliminated every thing in my car (weight saving).

And now I have Can bus and full logging and every thing controllable from the computer, as an engineer this is nirvana but for others too much.

So for you if are a racer or tinker go for the dominator if you are looking for a carb replacement and a good source of features go with Proflo both are awesome.

BTW, I am now closer to 600HP with AFR head upgrade and the computer. The AFR made a slight up tick but the computer is really better by feel. I have not dyno'ed yet.

4. simso

simso Veteran Member

I went stuff it and purchased a pro flo 4

rburrow87 and dave@ztech like this.
  5. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

You are going to enjoy it ... keep us posted on the build.

simso likes this.
  6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Might as well, just money not like you can take it with you, HAA HA

simso likes this.
  7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Congrats! It's the only thing that I didn't buy this time around. Will be next though.

simso likes this.
  8. CorkyE

I'm certain you've found it, there's a really informative forum on Eddy's site for ProFlo 4. I'll shoot you a link if you don't already have it.

simso likes this.
  9. simso

simso Veteran Member

Arrived in todays mail, cars at paint, still finishing up motor build, hopefully can run it in a couple of weeks on the test stand I am making

image.jpg

Mike-78 Z-28 and Z28-79 like this.
  10. CorkyE

Just make sure to follow the instructions, especially about running positive and negative wires directly to the battery. Pink ignition wire is a source of problems also when people try to splice or use cheap connectors into the ignition. I installed a power strip, some even use a separate relay for the pink wire. I don't know the specs on your engine, my 385 runs best with map 5029. Check for updates and good luck with the install. Post up questions if you have.

simso likes this.