Which console mounted ratchet shifter?

Eliminator SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 14, 2002
South East, Nebraska
I've always been a Hurst man but I've not been able to find the console mounted version of the v matic 3 for my 79 Z.
Which shifters available are best for these cars? I told myself for years that I wouldn't install one because you have to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel for it but I've decided I'd be much happier with the car if I had something more exciting than the factory shifter.
Show me pictures. Give me input. Looking for any and every opinion. If you have one to sell feel free to message me as well.

Eliminator SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 14, 2002
South East, Nebraska
I found a Hurst dual gate, not sure the specifics on this type, but the guy wants $250 for it and it's kinda rough looking. Anyone know what's so special about this one to make it so expensive?

Americanmuscle13

Veteran Member
Nov 20, 2003
Conway, AR
I found a Hurst Quarter Stick console model a couple a years ago and quickly picked it up. I'm extremely happy with it. They're hard to find though.

2nd gen Guy

Veteran Member
Jul 29, 2012
Coon Rapids, Mn
I had a dual gate that had been in a parts car, did some research and all I learned was that it was a nostalgia thing , its a HIS AND HERS shifter. It is rare and prices are dependent on condition but I didn't think much of the way it works.
Maybe post a wtb ad here, I can't remember the guy who was selling his qtr stick but it's made for the Camaro

Eliminator SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 14, 2002
South East, Nebraska
I've read a little about the dual gate and most people say it's not worth the trouble as a performance shifter.
I'll look up the quarter stick. I like how the v matic was set up, the b&m is a knockoff of it. Are they any good?

Latest posts