Which headers?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by tdm119, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

DB, what motor mounts are you using? Are you running a mechanical clutch or hydraulic? If mechanical, how are you setting up the pivot ball for the z-bar? I was interested in edelbrock but I'm not sure if they will clear the z-bar, I plan to run a mechanical clutch set up.

Also, where are you finding them for $400? I just looked in summit and they are listed at $700!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Got my mounts from Schwartz performance just plates that bolt on top of stock motor mounts. and as far as the z bar I was told that lakewood just came out with them that mounts to the bell housing with the ball I plan on using a mechanical clutch but not that far yet, other wise, as the price of the headers i order direct from dynotech I called jejs and summitt and like you said the wanted 700 bucks but i told the i could get the stright from dynotech for 399.99 they checked in to that and called back they said that they would match it , But they were to late I orderd them from dynotech.

4. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

I just pulled this part number up on Summit's website and the price is 200 bucks more :whine: .

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-11590940030C/

***UPDATE***

I guess I should have read all of the threads since this was mentioned in post #12. Disregard this post.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. tdm119

tdm119 Veteran Member

I called hedman to see what they had he told me to go with a mid length because i lowered my car. So now the question is will the dynatechs fit being a long tube they are cheaper.

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's these too......
    But personally after seeing how pooty these ceramic headers hold up, I'd strongly recommend Stainless Steel.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/NEW-Dynatech-MuscleMaxx-Headers-70-81-Camaro-LS1-LS2,41927.html

I really don't know if the exhaust ports are different on the LS1 (5.7) / LS2 (6.0) engines or not.
    If they're not, I'd definitely go with the Edelbrock Stainless Headers.
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/retrofit/ls1.shtml

My 2nd LS conversion with an LY6 or L92 in my 442 I'm hoping these work.
    I'm sick of the piece of royal crap carb'd Rocket 350 in it now. :rolleyes:
    Now that my 78Z is complete, I'm not even driving the 442. lol

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

I really wish the Edelbrock headers came uncoated and polished instead of the way they are. And that they were $200 cheaper! They are what I have sitting in the corner waiting for me to install the motor though...

8. ErikNORCAL

http://www.autopartsdealer.com/Dynatech 178 LSX 7081 CAMARO H_115_90940025c-p1859274-p.html

Came across this, looks like dynatech's $391 shipped including the 2.5 reducers.

aaargh.. trying to make up my mind, about to pull the trigger on a purchase. Edelbrocks are a guaranteed fit and probably have long term durability with the coated stainless. However, the dynatechs already have an O2 bung and reducers, could work with mechanical clutch ie less nickel/dime out of pocket expenses. Haven't found anyone that actually has them in a second gen, few first gens, lots of mustangs w/LS power.

9. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That sounds like a really good deal, especially given free shipping on something big/heavy like that.

I checked and the same thing at Jeg's/Summit is around $700, and they are usually very competitive. Makes me wonder...

I am not familiar with "Autopartsdealer.com"...any experiences good or bad, customer service wise?

10. ErikNORCAL

we'll see, went ahead and ordered. I think they usually are in some of magazines. I'd bet that these are drop shipped direct from dynatech since it says "1 to 2 weeks to ship".
    Did you ever buy that motor? My car is up by you in Mary Esther, sending parts there this week. Hoping to do a little work on it next week when I'm home, figure I need to actually get the motor in the car to transport it anywhere running or not.