Which Hood Scoop Fits Better

Dec 15, 2020
Which 4" hood scoop fits the 1980 Camaro hood the best so there is the least amount of work to put it on? I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake on it and the hood will not close. I can't understand why as the hood closed with my old engine. I wish I had the old intake to see what the difference is. I have tried a lowering breather but it does not clear the AVS2 carb. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-6025.jpg
    IMG-6025.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 39
  • Daniele-Silvaggi1.jpg
    Daniele-Silvaggi1.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 39

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
That's a 78-79 hood scoop in your pic.

How much clearance do you need?
You may be able to cut the underside of the hood and make the current scoop "functional".

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I looked at that but I would have to go to a smaller diameter filter as the stock scoop is not wide enough to accommodate the hole for the filter. I may try it over the winter as I will have to cut the hole for the larger scoop anyway. I will definitely post when I figure it out.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
It looks like you are using a flat-bottom Air Cleaner, you should be able to use a drop-base and clear the factory hood. You may need to cut a small slot in the base of the air clearer to clear choke linkage (1 min job with a dremel) and run a Banjo Bolt on the Fuel Inlet on the carb. Both will be cheaper and less heartache than a hoodscoop

If you really want a hood scoop, you are better off buying a whole hood than trying to mate up a scoop to the existing setup.
VFN makes good ones (get bolt on) but beware, all aftermarket hood require some 'fitting'
VFN Fiberglass

Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for the reply, as I mentioned in my reply to Twisted_Metal, I have to cut a hole in the hood anyway as the 383 striker I am building is going to have a high rise intake and it definitely won't fit under the hood. lol

Thank you for the link to VFN I will look into it.

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
It looks like you are using a flat-bottom Air Cleaner, you should be able to use a drop-base and clear the factory hood. You may need to cut a small slot in the base of the air clearer to clear choke linkage (1 min job with a dremel) and run a Banjo Bolt on the Fuel Inlet on the carb. Both will be cheaper and less heartache than a hoodscoop

If you really want a hood scoop, you are better off buying a whole hood than trying to mate up a scoop to the existing setup.
VFN makes good ones (get bolt on) but beware, all aftermarket hood require some 'fitting'
VFN Fiberglass

He mentioned in the original post that he had tried that and interfered with the carb. Good idea though on creating a relief to clear interference.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I would get the right drop-base air cleaner rather than go through the hassle of a hood scoop. I do like the look of the right scoop, and if that is part of your motivation, then good. But there is no need to do it just to clear your air cleaner. It make take some mods to make the deep base fit, but way easier than installing a hood scoop.
I have an RPM intake with a 3" filter, and the base I used is a reproduction from a big block vette. Minor mods, great fit.

Latest posts