Which Limited Slip Carrier To Go With?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by evilWS6, Aug 24, 2020.

1. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Hey fellas!

I have my car just about completely apart, and the rear end is going to be addressed next. I'm almost done with my engine rebuild .. ~10:1 355 that should be around 375-400HP. TH400 trans, 2600 stall. After being in the car for the last 20+ years, I removed the rear and popped the cover. 2.73 gears and... a mini spool! Always thought it was welded. I have to say, driving in this car with my father for nearly 15 years, and my driving it for over 5, it feels kind of strange to be considering ditching a spool. The car always launched great, did awesome power slides and crazy donuts.. never had a problem. The tire scrubbing was just part of the car to me.

Anyways, I see nearly everyone and their grandmother saying not to run a spool and I figure it might be time to finally get a limited slip carrier in there. What do you guys suggest? It's strictly a fun weekend street car that I occasionally beat the crap out of. What carriers do you recommend and why? I've already purchased new axle bearings and seals, so after I buy the carrier, gears, and install kit, I should have everything for a "rebuild" minus new axles.

Speaking of which, do you think I should bother with new axles? Where do you guys recommend buying all of these parts from?

Thanks!

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

3.42 with a 3 speed auto will be a great boost from 2.73, and still not rev too high on the highway. However, if you dont mind a bit of rpm on the highway, 3.73 is a great gear and if you like donuts wheelspin, you will have plenty of it. 3000rpm cruising on the hwy with a small block isn't bad at all, but some people dont like it.

I'm putting a Yukon posi in mine next week. There will be lots of opinions, but I like the design, have seen good results and reviews from others, and it looks well made.

Crazy4camaro likes this.
  3. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Right now I'm looking at the Yukon Dura Grip, the Eaton Posi, and the Eaton TrueTrac. What's the difference between the $600 Eaton Posi and the $500 TrueTrac?

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

The Truetrac is getting very popular. It's a gear design without clutches, so it's smooth and will last a long time. The Eaton Posi has clutches, can be tuned and rebuilt. If you are going to switch the differential then I recommend getting new 30 spline axles and upgrade the rear end. There is a very good chance that your axles and worn where the bearings run on them and they probably need to be replaced anyway.

5. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

I think I'll go with the TrueTrac then. So I should buy a 30 spline carrier, 30 spline axles, and 30 spline ring & pinion set, correct?

6. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Also, where do you recommend buying everything from? Do you sell them BGH?

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I spec'd out a truetrac from Moser was 750ish with the bearing kit. did not include axles or a ring and pinon.

8. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

You will have to get the axles from Moser or Dutchman. I don't know of any others that sell 30 spline axles for the Camaro 8.5 that have the correct c clip button. There was a guy on here that was selling these parts, but I haven't seen him on here in a while. Quick Performance would probably be the cheapest place for these parts. As for the ring & pinion, all of the 8.5 rear ends have a 30 spline pinion.

9. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Alright thanks guys. I was looking at the TrueTrac on Summit, but it says it doesn’t fit the Camaro, and lists 90s- 2000s trucks:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a481

Does it actually still fit, or is there some kind of difference? I did see 30 spline axles from Moser on there too. These actually say they are for a 73 Camaro:

edit: Just checked, the part number on Moser’s site matches the one here on Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a103003

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member