Which Muffler

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by CorkyE, Apr 26, 2018.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would still be this way, I'm 67, but wife and I want to take some road trips and she doesn't see thing in the same light I do. The OD (700-R4) transmission did a lot to calm it down also.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Not only that but I'm more in the camp now that the car should sound about as fast as it is. If it's obnoxiously loud it should be obnoxiously fast otherwise it just looks ridiculous. My car is fast but it's certainly not obnoxiously fast... the quiet flows give it enough growl to match the somewhat high performance that it is.

It was ok years ago because the stuff coming out of the factory wasn't super fast either. But now with the OEMs making pretty fast stuff with quiet mufflers... I feel ridiculous if someone with a quiet factory car can keep up with a loud a$$ old muscle car.

I always get a kick out of some of these guys where they stand on the throttle, car makes deafening exhaust noise but the car is barely moving any faster.

73 Z, Zstar and 80sz like this.
  3. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

I went through 4 sets of mufflers then finally spent the money I should of in the beginning. Pypes set up quite inside loud out the back. Muffler between rear end and gas tank with x-pipe and true dual. The single muffler has two mufflers wrapped into on can. Great sound and ground clearance.

4. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

CorkyE do you have the mufflers before the rearend and turned down with NO tail pipes.
    If no I will say Tail pipes over the axle and out to the bumper make things much quieter.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I know a lot of folks don't like bringing up Flowmaster...BUT...I run a dual in/out 80 series crossflow and it is pretty tame inside the car at all RPMs. I have 3.42 gears with a TH350 and a little better than 400HP under the hood. It's very tolerable.

I have a Magnaflow on my '02 Silverado with long tube headers and no cats. It had a fairly obnoxious drone at cruise speed/RPM. I have toyed with ideas from adding a resonator before the muffler, rerouting the tailpipes or changing it altogether.

6. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

From duel flowmasters over axle tail pipes to Walker quiet flows 21548 and a cross over. All I can say is for a driver its awesome!, now all I hear is the whiny Muncie (next to go) and 383 music.
    1.jpg