Which stock to buy in this panic?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by younda, Mar 12, 2020.

1. younda

younda Veteran Member

Norwegian Cruise Lines NCLH down from 59.65 to 11 today - I'm not recommending because who knows how this will affect that industry but what are you waiting to buy or buying now?

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Charmin. Buy stock in charmin.

roadrace2, BillyDean7173 and Smokey15 like this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't touch a cruise line at all right now. I suspect there is long term damage done there.

This is going to be a good time to buy quality stocks, especially ones that pay dividends or are considered industry bests. JNJ MSFT V JPM AMZN AAPL all come to mind.

sandiego74 likes this.
  4. BonzoHansen

PG probably another good choice

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I had a biannual meeting with my financial advisor yesterday and we moved more of my investments over to stocks. Don't really know which ones, thats what I pay him for. We also look at my 401 k while there and adjusted as needed. I have been investing 20 percent for 25 years, investing 22% for a few years now and been debating on maxing out to 25 so I did that also yesterday. Time to buy when price is down. Sorry no comment on which stocks but I know when to buy.

6. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You should buy the ones that will increase the most in price in the future. When you figure out which ones that is, let me in on the secret :)

I read an article that said one of the oil stocks is paying an 8% dividend right now, with the Russia \ Iran oil price war, and the corona virus situation. But long term I doubt US oil stocks have a lot of upside potential.

I don't really know what would be good stocks in particular to buy. I think a year from now most of the major company stocks will have recovered. I wonder, though, if smaller companies - e.g., small airlines - won't be able to weather the downturn, and go bankrupt. It seems like smaller companies would be more vulnerable to the loss in business due to the corona virus. But I'm not really good at the stock market.

7. BonzoHansen

I expect some of the oil companies to cut dividends, so I'd think hard about chasing oil yields right now. Need to check for cash holdings. Oil industry is a whole different set of problems

8. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I would just look at solid companies that can survive the storm. Apple, Comcast, Amazon, etc. Only because I work at Comcast, I watch that one. It was just about 48 before this all started. Went to 35.xx today. It will be back at 48 or higher when this all passes and it's a strong company so it will be here. Just my opinion! Investing is always risky business.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Buying individual stocks is not what I recommend. Too much risk (see Norwegian above, Tesla and Ford (both down about 40 - 50% since early February)).

Look at good mutual funds with a strong track record in the following categories:

1. Growth and Income
    2. Growth
    3. Aggressive Growth
    4. International

Doing so has done me very well. On paper, I've lost a lot of money the last couple of weeks. But I'm far from broke or even worried about it. I'm not looking to touch any of my retirement investments for at least another 24 - 36 months.

roadrace2, Smokey15 and La.Z8 like this.
  10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Part of the problem is this is the end of an 11 year bull market. The economy has been going full blast since 2009. Unfortunately, we have a record high deficit and the prime rate is below 1% so there isn't much the Federal Reserve can do to lessen the drops. Taking a Cruise line as an example, it may drop some more before bottoming out. There was a statement today telling people NOT to go on cruises for 2 to 3 weeks. Once the "pandemic" passes, which it will, cruise line stocks will go back up. Maybe not as much as they dropped, but they will go up.

In short, once the stock market quits dropping, the cruise industry will see a short term jump in value. If you're looking for short term gains, I'd go there. If you're in it for the long term, I'd go with an established tech stock like Apple as has been mentioned. If it were me, I'd put 25% in the risky cruise lines and 75% in tech stocks.

Smokey15 likes this.