Which VPN are you using??

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Curious who here is using a VPN, which one and why.

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I use Private internet access due to it's price (I have a discount for being on it for almost 4 years, I think prices increased)
    it's privacy policy as it doesn't keep logs
    and the amount of servers to choose from in the event a website blocks which one you're connected to (which sadly is unavoidable)
    I haven't experienced a lot of downtime, and if I do, just switch what server I'm connected to. It also doesn't impact my speeds too much. (if you put on stronger encryption it will obviously go down, but all depends on what you're looking for)

I personally never turn it off and have it configured through my router so all devices are always on a VPN no matter what. I also have something called a pi-hole that gets rid of all ads in my house, including the TV.

3. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

I use AVG Secure VPN. The price was reasonable and has plenty of servers. No degradation of throughput.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm using PIA also. I had it connected to my PFSENSE router as you do, but was constantly playing a cat and mouse with Netflix etc. My next step was to create a VLAN and put all the Roku's etc on that net to bypass the VPN. Is that what you did?

Interested in the Pi-hole. Can you point to how you set yours up?

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Yup, I just set up lan rules and change what that devices default gateway if I run into issues
    here is a link for pi-hole
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/1094810-pi-hole-setup-tutorial/

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

i've used VPNHub as its "base" plan is free, but it's slow
    https://www.vpnhub.com/
    It's owned by another famous "Hub"

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use Express VPN, paid $99 for a year, will cover 5 devices. I got it because I needed VPN when I started working over in China a couple years ago and one of the local engineers who had been living in Australia before moving back to China sent me a link where we would both get a month free service if I signed up. After that, I got about another five people to sign up so got a total of 6 months free service. It was typically very good, quite stable except when the gov't in China was trying extra hard to shut all VPNs down, such as around the anniversary of Tiananmen square uprising. Then it would go down but they would get it back up within three or four days at most.