which way looks better to you guys 57 chevy

jeff swisher

Veteran Member
Apr 26, 2018
Yukon Oklahoma
Which way looks better for tooling around.
57 good friday 002.JPG

001.JPG

Or maybe the tunnel-ram and no hood and blacked wheels that are currently on it.

I am nervous about people taking stuff off of it with the tunnel-ram when I go fishing or to the store.
I was thinking about a cowl hood scoop.
Input is appreciated. Good or bad. Yes I drive it often.

ol' grouch

Veteran Member
Jul 4, 2013
Evansville, In.
I'm more of a minimalist. I like the black wheels. Back in the 1960's, when you bought a muscle car, they often came with plain steel wheels. Either black or body color. The reasoning was the owner would put aftermarket wheels on so keep the cost down for more profit. I've found that for "spirited" driving, especially on the giant pot holes we call roads around here, a steel wheel is more durable and can be beat back into shape with a hammer. When ever the rain lets up for a few days and warm weather at least in the 70's, I'll be painting the pickup I recently bought. The wheels will match the body once I paint it. They will also have the stock black GMC center caps.

painted wheels.jpg

The main thing is do YOU like the look. It's your car. I agree the tunnel ram and carbs would just beg for a 5 finger discount. Something I've dine in the past is put a rear facing hood scoop on the passenger side of the hood. It makes someone think you have some serious horsepower under the hood. I only do it to vent under hood heat for a denser fuel charge.

70-camaro

Veteran Member
Mar 25, 2010
marietta ohio
I'd go with the hood and aluminum wheels. 5 finger discount is a good reason for the hood and on those cars it will protect the radiator. Also install the fender trim and call it good.

jeff swisher

Veteran Member
Apr 26, 2018
Yukon Oklahoma
Speeding Lady through housing addition T boned the front end and messed up my trim.

I was thinking cowl hood scoop for one reason vent the under hood heat.
That is why the hood is propped up in the rear.
At 70+ mph on the highway it does not cool as well with hood closed in the rear.
In town it cools better at 55 mph and less.
Lot of air gets under these fat bodies and no where for it to go so airflow through the radiator seems to slow down.
I built a belly pan for an old Nova and that really helped in that situation.

I have thought about a cut hood with carbs protruding. Well air filters protruding anyway as the carbs I think sit just below hood level.

So hood with stacks. That should keep most honest people honest.

Latest posts