While out for my morning walk...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The law changed that stated only pre '75 cars needed to be smogged so we all breathed a sigh of relief...there has never been a vehicle inspection here in CA since I started driving in 1974...and prolly for many years before then.

Horribly maintained roads and cars that literally fall apart while being driven...welcome to California. :crazy:

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Around 1995 California instituted new smog standards which basically ended up with a few hundred thousand cars being designated as gross polluters. Once having that designation, the car is forced you to go to a state referee for inspection (because so many people just bribed the smog guy at that point).
    The Referees were overwhelmed by the volume, and the state basically decided that it would be less expensive to exempt pre-74 cars than hire more refs.

3. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

You mean post 1975? I remember years ago reading that guys had to find original equipment smog parts for their early 70s and 60s cars. Guess that isn't an issue anymore. But then how does that $h!t bomb in your pic. get by? That is a post '75 obviously. Guess a few cases of beer to the local mechanic? I heard they have cameras set up in garage bays that do smog to prevent that?

EDIT:
    Quick side story, I remember being on vacation in Anaheim back in the early 90s and staying at a high rise hotel just off route 5. From my balcony I could see some big metal scrap yard. One morning as I was out on the balcony having coffee, I noticed a 66 or 67 Chevelle being driven into the yard, the guy getting out and talking to the people there, then taking his plates off and leaving in another car. I was like, damn I gotta go see if I can buy it before its crushed. So I drove over there and they told me, can't buy it, it's labeled as a gross polluter and being turned to scrap for some kind of smog credit program. Mind you it wasn't a mint cherry looking car but it wasn't bad.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In the mid / late 80's thru early 90's they were very stringent on smog laws on older cars . So alot of car owners especially muscle car owners did whatever possible to get their cars to pass smog . Back then alot of these cars sat in the owners garage under blankets because of the strict smog laws

Like I mentioned car owners bribed the smog techs to get their cars to pass and they made sure it passed . Some of the tricks were using cars with same motors then transferring data from that car to yours . Other was just using any other car no matter engine make or displacement

It was that easy back then but now it is strictly enforced with cameras and data links to Sacramento and techs can be severely punished and shop owners penalized if caught cheating

Back in the early 90's My 66 Ford Fairlane with a 427 tunnel port took almost all day to smog and it barely passed

5. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Reminds me of the recent BS government program "cash for clunkers". Wiped out a lot of old iron.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It was actually '73 at first, they started a rolling exemption for the first few years so made it to '75.
    MCJ is in Salinas, which is farm country. You'll get a lot of stuff down there that just idles around the fields and doesn't ever go on public roads so isn't registered. LOTS of migrant workers who aren't very concerned with keeping things registered or insured, or having licenses for that matter

7. Buickfunnycar

Worries me everytime I'm anywhere near Salinas because you know if they're involved in any accident,they're running...

8. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

I remember them trying that here in NJ. Originally it was you had three tries to get it to pass, but it wasn't standard emissions test. They wasted taxpayer money on dynos, because idle wasn't enough. A few blow up motors later they scrapped the test. The best part was if you didn't pass they crushed it and gave you "emission" credit towards a new car. That was that c** bag whittmans idea. Then she left we got another string of losers. Till we ended up with just regular emissions testing.

Anyone else find if funny that GM and all them, all of a sudden where offering 0% financing, around that time? Get people out of the old cars and make it easier to pay for a new one...

9. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    ;)

Yeah, right? LOL

I won't comment too much on California's screwed up smog laws over the years, I've had to deal with all kinds of em as mentioned above, from paying off the tech to arguing with a referee about the smog requirements were determined based on the engine and not the car model year.

Where I live now in the rural sierras we are smog testing exempt. I haven't had a vehicle tested for emissions in fifteen years.

I do agree there should be some sort of safety check every five years or so on all registered vehicles. I've always thought that California's view placing emissions testing over public safety was a bit myopic.

I digress lest I go political..

10. Buickfunnycar

Couple of more beauties...

Bondo was cracking off this thing everywhere...
    [​IMG]

And this is because Cali has no vehicle inspections...sure hope this guy's not planning to tow anything! :eek:
    [​IMG]