whistling exhaust

joeparamonkey

May 17, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Hey gang. Anyone ever heard an exhaust whistle? I hear it when going down the road and pass by a curb or a wall. I thought it was my water pump, or PCV valve, but when I pop the hood and rev the engine I don't hear a thing in the bay. I hear it out of the exhaust in the back and down below at the pipe. Maybe a leak? Any ideas/advice? Puzzled :confused:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
bubbrubb1128910025.jpg

Yeah... Probably a leak somewhere.

Johnny.chev

Jan 30, 2014
Weymouth,Mass
could be exhaust blockage, to check hook up vacuum gauge rev engine to even rpm (steady) then check gauge it should read steady or if it drops slowly could be blocked header tube, cat converter. muffler, y-pipe.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
I've heard exhaust chirping before but it was on a big cubic inch ultra high compression comp eliminator motor and running large tube race headers . This chirping sound was due to the cam's valve event timing causing the exh pulses to react against reversion

On my 350sbc I myself was getting a chirping sound in the exh after I temporarily installed the stock log exh manifolds . Once I swapped back to headers the chirping stopped

Last edited:

RS1979

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Memphis, TN
With that exhaust system you shouldn't have any muffler build up to plug it up. I'd say look elsewhere.

Latest posts