White or Grayish Exhaust Smoke with strong Fuel smell, 350

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Primus, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Primus

Primus New Member

Hey Guys, me again,
    Upon startup after 6-8 Weeks yesterday, a few yards rolling and letting the engine Warm up, I found something suspicious.
    My 79 Camaro didn't stop to Smoke after warming up and the Smoke smells extremely like unburned Fuel. It wasn't that bad at the last startup but I already smelled the Fuel and saw a little Smoke coming out of the pipes. The motor is completely stock, just no Cat and the AC is not in use. Even the Exhaust is Stock.
    Bad Headgasket? Or even something worse? What would you do? I don't own a compression gauge or Leak-Down Tester. Should I get them?
    It isn't to easy to get a Crate-Engine in Germany, so that would be my last Choice, as long as its cheaper than overboring.
    Thanks for the help.
    All the Best

Max

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Start at the beginning. Have you tuned the engine up recently? Un-burned fuel could be bad plugs, funky carb, etc. Start simple.

You say you are in Germany? What's the fuel like over there? Is it as crappy as the ethanol-mix junk we have here in the States?

What do you have on your engine? All stock or are there modifications?

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Carb setup or too much vacuum advance at idle.

4. Primus

Primus New Member

I didnt. Thats what I wanted to do when it gets warmer and its possible to get it out of the garage.
    So i guess new spark plugs, all fluids and Carbsettings. That shouldn't be a problem.
    We have pretty good fuel actually. Im running 95 or 98 octane all the time. Its pretty expensive, but less then 5% Ethanol. That should get the Job done! Once in a while im even using Fuel with 102 Octane without Ethanol, it looks like the engine runs smoother and the Mileage goes up.
    Engine is completely stock and as far as can tell, in a pretty good condition. I just told myself, that Im only going to change that if there are any Problems with the original Parts.

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Wowsa. That's some high octane stuff. That might be influencing things if your carb is not set up for it. Tune it on a certain grade and stick with that grade as much as possible.

Definitely get a tune up done. I betcha it will help a ton.

Hey, so what part of Germany are you from? I've got family in Kassel.

6. Primus

Primus New Member

95 is the lowest you can actually get nowadays. the worst thing is E10, 10%Ethanol and 95 Octane. But our Fuel is expensive... Something like 5,50-7,20$ a Gallon. Taxes, man....
    Good Idea! Thats going to be the next thing besides the new headliner and center console.
    I live in the Southwest, around 20 Miles from Ramstein Airbase. Most of you guys know it! Pretty nice to see American spec cars driving around in Germany with no need to get the real german inspections! ;-)

7. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

It sounds like you're not actually driving the car, just starting it and letting it warm up. If that's the case I'm not surprised that it's unhappy. There's a good chance that the plugs are fowled. They may clear out when you actually drive the car.

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I assume you are running a stock quadrajet? How long have you had the car or did you just get it? If you haven't had it long the carb might need adjustment/tuning as the previous owner might have messed with it. Also did it get up to full operating temp?

9. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

The motor is more than likely fine internally. When I got my first carbureted car (I'm 30 so they are old to us) I slapped a new carb on asap and twisted the distributor all sorts of directions. I had the same problem you're experiencing. It stank something awful, the exhaust had a nice color and people told me the head gaskets were blown but I eventually figured out how to tune it and it went away. Weather has an affect too and Florida is odd since it can be 80 in the afternoon and 30 at night in the winter which will cause some unwanted stench. Wish we had 95 at the pump here!

10. Primus

Primus New Member

Last time I drove it, back in November, i had it fully warmed up, drove about 50 miles. This time I just had to put the lights back in and didn’t have any help, so I had to drive it out of the garage instead of pushing it. So I thought to myself: instead of just running it for a minute or two, let it get up to temperature.
    I have it for about half a year. I didn’t do anything to the carb, just because it ran quite and good which it still does... but now with smoke and strong fuel odor. But the gasmileage was worse then I thought. It’s about 9 mpg, driving moderate to really soft. I’m pretty sure now, that this is not completely normal, isn’t it? :-D
    Stock Quadrajet.
    It’s my first carburated car as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018