Who else keeps a “stash” or nest egg

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Jan 9, 2020.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Bust my butt at work, side work, etc. have been able to buy in cash her wedding rings, my side “projects” that I turn and flip for a few extra bucks, my CAMARO....

I try to keep some cash stashed. Not in the bank, but at home. If I need a few bucks cash I have it without hitting the atm, I pay myself back in full plus some. It’s all “my money” so to speak - nothing out of our common account. I used to keep it in my gun safe , but she saw it in there and has since been pressuring me to put it in the bank. I say NO, as worst case “SHTF” mode, I can make couple house payments in cash, but she thinks it would be better off in the bank.

What say you guys? In this day and age of ECommerce is it smart or stupid to hoard a little bit of real cash money in a jar in the backyard....

I’m not talking super paranoid all banks are bad etc... just having a few months worth of reserve at MY disposal....ie enough time to figure out what’s going on IF our bank account was hacked, or whatever the case may be.

I also keep a credit cArd thats used for ALL our online purchases.
    My thought being, if some aHole gets that number, well there’s not much they can do with it...$1000 limit. And worst case i tell visa to stick it... at least the aHole can’t cleanout my bank account...

Anyway....am I overly paranoid by keeping a sum of cash stashed at home....or should I give in to the wife and put it in the bank or stick to my guns and keep on keepin on the way I’ve been for 15+ years

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think it is good to try and keep some cash in hand but in a true SHTF scenario, cash may not be useful as other than butt wipes, at least the bills anyways. In a short term local emergency situation then cash in hand should be very handy to have.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I keep 2 weeks pay in reserve in odd places where only I know where it's at. I've seen storms come through and take out the power for days. I worked in a restaurant in high school and the cash register had a crank on the side in case of power failure. There was a 3 day outage and we were the only food place open and there were lines out the door all three days. I wonder what it would be like now with everything electronic. I also pay cash whenever possible.

4. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I keep cash around because being a habitual flipper, I'm always hitting yard sales and swap meets. most of those places its cash and carry. and most sellers aren't interested in waiting until Monday for the bank to open.
    I found my 66 chevelle body for $1500 on a saturday afternoon. I was so sure someone else would have grabbed it if I didnt have the cash to pay for it.
    bought a 71 4 door chevelle at a saturday morning yard sale. a $325 ak47 and 1000 rds of ammo, had to grab the cash and run to meet the seller 5 minutes after the ad was up. so cash is a great thing to have around. Let's you be one of the early guys in line. jim

dcozzi and BillyDean7173 like this.
  5. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

I do none of this, but prolly should. I think its a good idea

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I keep cash, when a war with a peer/near peer state I fully expect a cyber attack and you’ll lose access to the bank and ability to use debit/credit cards. I don’t believe in the idea in another source is “currency”. If it gets so bad, US money is worthless...gold will be worthless too. People will be paying with food with a gun pointed at you.

Zstar likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Get a safe. Not a “porta-safe” lol...something big and heavy enough your average person could not carry it. Or you get a mid size and bolt it down in a awkward spot where you can’t pry it up. Your petty theft is looking for easy items, it takes too much time and work to steal your safe. Which in theory could have nothing it it...not worth it to a crook.

8. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Keep some cash on hand especially during hurricane season.

Zstar likes this.
  9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I just keep some trading materials around like a bit of wampum and some shiny beads. That way I can trade for an island in New York if things get bad. :)

dcozzi likes this.
  10. CitrusZ28

CitrusZ28 Veteran Member

jeff swisher likes this.