Who else needs a 1969 RS Z/28

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Jun 15, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do. I want that gold one.

Chevyforever likes this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Not a bad looking car...but there are SOOO many of them, they just don't appeal to me. Especially for the $$$ they go for. I rather spend the money on something else.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

So many of them?

There were 243,085 1969 Camaros built. Of those, only 37,773 RS's (about 15%) and only 20,302 Z28's (about 8%) were built.

How many of those 20,302 Z28's were built with the RS option, no one knows for sure, but it's only a fraction of the Z28's that had the RS option. Most likely somewhere around 2 or 3% of the total production were RS Z28's - or about 5 - 7,000 total.

And of those cars, how many exist today???

moosey3000 likes this.
  4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

today??/....9-10,000
    lol

tom3, Dave Nelson, dcozzi and 3 others like this.
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Years ago I had a body shop owner that specializes in shoebox Chevy's tell me there were more 57 verts on the road now that Chevy originally made.

Zstar likes this.
  6. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Great video link, as they say "There is nothin' finer than a '69er." 69zrs.jpg

7. hubleyman

hubleyman New Member

I was there for this gathering with my friend Danny and his LB '68 Z (very nice car!). I was standing next to the gold car as it was being unloaded. He didn't raise the front of the trailer and I thought he was going to drag the bottom of the car on those tractor ramps at that angle, but managed to clear them with no issues.

It's always fun to see these cars being inspected and picked apart by knowledgeable people, not just the Know-it-alls that go to every car gathering who feel the need to tell you everything that is "wrong' with your car... even if it's totally original and/or correct.

We had a similar 2 day Jerry M. gathering at my house a few years ago. He was able to spend more time on all the cars and really go through them in extensive detail and share a great deal of info along the way. My old driver-survivor LB '69 Z was sitting nearby (not getting inspected) and Jerry kept bringing the guys over to my car to show them what "original" and/or "correct" parts and installation should look like. Sadly, one participant that recently purchased a high dollar restored car found out the hard way that "matching numbers" doesn't mean original or correct...

Wish I was smart enough to video tape the gathering for prosperity like the San Rafael guy did... Looking at myself in his video, they say that the camera adds extra pounds. In my case I think it's just old guy extra pounds...

Charlie

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Well I know where 2 of them are and for sure they are in fact Z/28's as when I was in high school over 50 years ago the one guy that bought a fathom blue Z just got if back and restored it, he raced it as an F Stocker for many a year. As for the other one, Greg used to call his green Z the float because it was in a parade one year, lol. He blew up the 302, after that his dad bought him a new crate LT1 in 1970. Greg left water in that one and cracked the block, he drank a lot back then so that may have something to do with that issue. Now the car sits in the garage. There's 2 for sure.

9. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Well, there are roughly double the number of 69 Z/28's that were built currently on the road, so.....

10. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

My brother in-law was the second owner of a 1969 Z28 Rally Sport. He bought it around 1972. It was his only car and he drove it to work everyday in Toronto. In winter he put snow tires on the rear. My high school buddy bought it off him in 1977 for $700. It still ran and looked good. My buddy totally rebuilt the engine and repainted the car candy apple red with gold stripes. It got T- boned and written off in 1979. So we know where one more ended up.