Who here has a 4th gen LS1 F-body?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 74_Camaro, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

DO IT ! GET ONE :) ... as reliable as anything else on the road

We discussed my G/F's FORMY (142k miles, water pump and pass. window motor) ...

Here is my 2002 Z28 M6 1SC stripper (~38K miles now, only mods no repairs)

[​IMG]

1st pic is at a car show, 2nd pic Salt flats 139.25575 MPH (140 is breakout in 130 club), 3rd pic open track and AutoX at Miller Motorpsorts park, 4th drag racing at nations highest strip Hypoxia Dragway ....

All these were done in a 7 day period ;) with only tire / wheel changes :)

My car is pretty lightly modded compared to MANY of the other 4th gen running nowadays ... I actually bought it to be a "driver", BUT have raced the hell out of it !

Lately it's been a open road race car ran the Silver State (NV) 4 times with my highest average speed of 149.0122 and top of 165 MPH, and the Big Bend open road race (TX) once.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I've illustrating the versatility of the platform ! I plan on taking it to cars and coffee tomorrow morning as it' still very fun on the street.

Any questions please ask, I'm very familiar with the 4th gen, as are many of my friends ! Oh and close friends T/A :

[​IMG]

~DaVe

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Wow, I do not agree with that at all..

We still daily drive a 1987 GMC 1/2 ton suburban with the 350 engine. It gets about 25K miles per year put on it. It has over 300K miles on the thing... Only thing replaced as far as engine related goes has been the water pump, power steering pump and starter...

The only real issue the truck had, was the gov lock rear end. Replaced that thing 3 times, then just swapped in a 12 bolt open rear.

Heck as of 8 mo. ago I started towing with that truck. Picking up cars to part out. One trip was 348 miles round trip.. Half of the way towing an all steel 17' car trailer, other half of course was with a load trailer through Atlanta, GA traffic.

I can not see how you find a 14 year old car only to be good enough for around town use.

I would not think twice about taking this 28 year old 'burb across country from GA. to CA. and back...

Heck my family (including extended) does not even own a car newer than 15 years old.

We have the '87 burb, '00 grand marquis, '88 S10 v8, '88 camaro hot rod.
    My dad has a '98 blazer and '82 firebird hot rod
    My sister has a '00 expedition

3. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 97 Z28 white/orange 30 anv. edition and love it. If you let it set like I do, the thing seems to eat battery's !! After 60k miles the water pump took a dump and that's the only problem I've had with it. (Oh and the fuel filters)

4. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

5. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Thanks for the information everyone!

Is there anything in particular I should look out for? The main issues I know of are - dash cracking, seat seams separating, door panel cracks, window motors, clear coat peeling (on T/A's), weak rear ends, am I missing anything?

The car I'm looking at is below, really I can't find anything wrong except the mileage is a bit high at 156k. It's got rare medium blue paint, 6 speed, and some small mods such as a cam, rockers, exhaust, and wheels. I'm interested because I love the color (very close to my dad's Chevelle) and they made 194 T/A's in this color, with only 26 of those having the 6-speed! Also it's not a real WS6 as they never actually made a WS6 in this color, but someone did add the ram air hood.

So, what are your thoughts on value? KBB is always low for these cars.

[​IMG]

6. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

My son has a black 2001 WS6, just rolled over 100k miles. His clearcoat is fine. Prior to that he had a pewter 2001 Z28 with 200k miles. The clearcoat on that was failing.

In addition to the issues you mentioned, watch for the paint bubbling up on the sail panel...something to do with the glue GM used on later models to hold the panel...it likes to eat fiberglass.

Another weak spot on the Pontiacs is the headlamp motors...the nylon gears simply do not hold up....you need to rebuild them with brass gears.

There is also an issue with a solder crack on the body control module. It will be heat sensitive and cause the radio and power windows to temporarily fail.
    An easy fix, pull out the BCM, the crack will be evident, put on a drop of solder and call it good.

The blue IS rare. My son looked high and low for either a TransAm in blue or sunset orange...dang near impossible to find a nice one.

7. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice car! If you get it post pics. I sent a message too.

8. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

This was my 98 LS6 swapped camaro six speed. Had this thing when I was 19 it was a blast ! Fun daily driver thats for sure

[​IMG]

9. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Great look cars everyone! Makes me want to get one even more.

It sure is! And everyone with a blue or orange one demands a high premium which just isn't quite worth it. Oh well, I'm continuing the search! :cool:

10. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

I drove mine a ton, had 179k miles when I sold it to my brother with no issues beyond a rear main leak. Runs LOW 12's and have never been into the engine, cruises down the highway awesome and got 24-25 mpg highway.

If you can get past the fact that they aren't the absolute most comfortable vehicle, they are great. I'd personally get a hardtop Camaro or Formula, but that's just me.