Who makes the best door and roof seals?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 7173LT, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've heard Steele Rubber is good, if you go Metro, lol. Use John D Lorian, sec gen grave yard on FB, he gives the best price, actually he sells them so cheap Pete went off on him, lmao.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use Metro soft seal in mine 1979 Z-28 RS T-top car. No issues,

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

How much wear? I would assume after 22 years...It would be time for new seals. You must not open and close the doors enough...Don't forget...The weather-strip are seals! How do you think water cant pass between two surfaces? A tight barrier...There should be some resistance for the life the seal or else it would leak. Excessive need to close the doors should be temporary for all the seals I have used OER/Metro/Soff Seal.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You will find what fits great on one Camaro might not fit so good on yours (and vice versa). Flexing, door install etc.

I installed Metro and the seal holds great in the window track and B-Pillar track. (OER hold was horrible) Did not need any adhesive. The top of the window goes into the seal and the seal edge extends downward over the edge of the window (good water seal)

A common problem I found when deciding what to install is the thickness of the ends. The fronts on mine were the same way. They fit now after using a curved wood shaper to remove material on door and window seals.

Joe, the operations manager at Metro told me doing so will not degrade the seal or cause the seals to deteriorate. The surface will be roughened but will wear smooth as the doors are used

5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I bought Steele after trying OER crap. The OER were so bad that I pulled them out and thrashed them. I have a hard time believing that GM actually licensed them to build the worst fitting crap on the market.

6. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How was the Steele?

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Just "okay". They fit pretty decently. Not really inpressed with the way they leave black smudges wherever they contact the paint. Wish I has tried Metro or Softseal from what I've heard.

8. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks , I have also found
    Fairchild Industries, Inc. they look like good pieces, however, I am having problems finding a source for buying them

9. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, I'd really like to know the source too, as I have 'latex' seals, I've tried a couple different brands, and have crap luck. The ones I have now just have washers, not the sheet metal plate the factory formed the rubber over. All the washers did was pull out/through as the doors opened/closed.

10. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i Have tried them all and best on market for me has been precision rubber worked best on 2 different 70 camaros. Gary