Who makes the best door and roof seals?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 7173LT, Mar 30, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, so now the real stupid questions!! For the roofrail, the stainlees steel part that goes on before the weatherstrip, I know that it has screws holding it in place , however is there something that should go between it and the car body, if I remember correctly there was some sort of rubber gasket in between the two, or should I use, dielectric or lithium grease , or 3M type gasket adhesive?
    Then on the door seals, do I use screws, or the push style plastic 1967 - 1992 Weatherstrip Ends Push Pin Clips [​IMG]

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Use 3m Strip-Calk. Just like factory, doesn't harden up. You can use the same for other areas such as kick-panel vent to body, etc.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

So Dave, happy with these so far? Are the like the thread title says the "best"?

4. dave@ztech

I would not say the best, will have better comments once I install them, they seem soft enough so I believe the doors will close easy, and the window should seat, Fairchild Industries, is a OEM supplier, so maybe they make good parts HAA HA , the Precision trunk seal, is firmer, however, well made as well, will post with pictures once installed this weekend

71RSLS likes this.
  5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

I've been trying to make the decision on which brand to get too. A lot of good info here. I'm in to see how you like these Dave.

6. PlayersZ28

PlayersZ28 New Member

I'm using Metro to build new T-top seals for my C&C roof. I already had a trunk seal so am using that on one side, Metro on the other. The one I had looks like the pic of a Precision seal with no hollow areas.

7. 75Motion

75Motion Veteran Member

I assume you have them installed by now. What are your thoughts?

8. dave@ztech

Hi,
    So I got the door seals installed, still working on the roofrail metal pieces, they are in the bath tub now, after spraying them down with goo b gone , to get the last of the old adhesive off, anyways, I don't have windows in anyway , the door seals went well, except for the holes on the new door for the plugs were too small , so I had to drill several of them slightly bigger, other then the door, the seals were perfect, and the door closed with a correct type close, probably would have been even easier with all the door parts on, no slamming and it didn't push out my perfectly adjusted door alignment , so I for one would say Fairchild Industries are great, and if you search you can find them , I bought mine from AM auto parts Just call them to see what manufacturer they are using as they seem to switch it up

AM-20551578-1970-81 Chevy Camaro Pontiac Firebird Roofrail Weatherstri...

AM-17189024-1970-81 Chevy Camaro Pontiac Firebird Door Weatherstrip Se...

AM-17994714-1970-81 Chevy Camaro Pontiac Firebird Trunk Weatherstrip S...

The trunk weather strip was from another company, and I haven't tried it yet

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

My door seals have looked like crap for 30 years, thanks for all the info here. Ordered the Fairchild KG3030 seals, good price too from AM. Replaced the roof rail weatherstripping several years ago with Sofseal, sure not impressed with that stuff.

10. dave@ztech

If I finish with the trim piece today, will see how the roof rail fit Monday, not that I will know much as I don't have any glass in, HAA HA