Who sells the best fitting carpet ?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Orange_Z, Oct 8, 2021.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

3. BillyDean7173

You're welcome. This is the only pic I could find with the tail. The ebay ad says it's for 76-81 Camaro Firebird with auto console. I ordered my ACC for the 73Z with the tail. When I ordered my Legendary seat cover set, it came with the vinyl cover that goes between the rear seats on the tranny tunnel. The cover went on top of the carpet.

[​IMG]

4. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

does that have mass backing ,also that would probably fit in a 70-73 maybe ?

5. BillyDean7173

The ad says it has a jute backing, which is not the same as mass backing. Mass backing is more expensive. I think the factory backing was jute or jute was a separate layer under the carpet. I don't know.
    Here's the ebay ad.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1211676830...=711-162166-526939-7&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]&gdpr=${GDPR}&gdpr_consent=${GDPR_CONSENT_929}&siteid=0&ipn=admain2&placement=547445&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzK_Oz-nA8wIVLowAAB3sNAkmEAEYASABEgLlVvD_BwE

Here's info on the mass backing. https://www.accmats.com/articles/everything-about-mass-backing/

That 76-81 carpet may fit in a 73, but 70-72 had different consoles. Not sure if that makes a difference to the carpet, especially if it's molded, but I wouldn't chance it. You can order the right carpet for your year and tranny, among other options like the pile, backing, and tail.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

There may also be a different form over the cat converter on the passenger floor board. There was a lump there I believe.

7. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Floorplans are different once they introduced the catalytic converters. So doubtful it'd be anywhere close to a decent fit.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. timmyk

timmyk Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got mine for my 80 Camaro from NPD and it fir really good, not sure of the brand, but it was a really good fit!

9. MadMatt

MadMatt Member Gold Member

A couple of years ago I had a local interior guy put a custom carpet in my 78 Z28 because of the 12 point roll cage. If memory serves it was only about $100 more than a good quality carpet set from NPD and he piped all the edges. If you can I’d go that route.

10. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

my understanding is that within the last fifteen or so years ACC basically bought all the competition, so as far as I am aware, they are just about the only go-to for replacement formed carpets.

From what I am seeing and reading in this discussion, they have definitely changed their offerings in the last twenty years, because when I replaced my carpet (with their cut loop) it had enough to cover underneath the rear seats, and over the hump - an area that was supposed to be fully removed, and then replaced with the jute backed vinyl piece for the hump.

They have always been intentionally oversized, and the real key to a good install has always been to get it good and warm (ideally on a sunny/warm day) by putting it outside in the sun up side down to warm up.

I sure hope their dyes last better than they did in the past... because that carpet I bought twenty-ish years ago was faded exponentially worse that the tattered original which replaced it after just a year.
    It was fading so bad that I resorted to buying ryte (?name) fabric dye, and putting it in a spray bottle (fairly concentrated) to spray onto my carpet, and make it look better. My carpet was black - but it faded so bad after about a year that it looked grey to brown (my memory is a but fuzzy, and I've done the ryte dye several times over) My tattered original was still totally black when I pulled it out (it was also thirty years old at the time).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    hubedobeedo likes this.