Why are 73 rear bumpers hard to find?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by BillyDean7173, May 18, 2018.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Would anyone care to speculate why the hell a rear bumper for a 73 is so hard to find? It came on every single 73 regardless of option, motor, color, exhaust, etc. So that's 96,751 rear bumpers that existed at one point in time and I can't find just one in almost five years of looking? You gotta be sh**ting me.
    I can find heat shields, valve cover wire loom clips, an air cleaner, and even a glove box lamp lens for my 73Z, but can't find a 73 rear bumper. Those items are supposed to be rare and yet they were easier to find than a bumper. I even found several VF3 bumpers and a factory Z28 bumper, but no 73.
    I have six standard rear bumpers and half of them have the 73 brackets and long rubber cushions and half have the 70-72 brackets with the short rubber cushions, yet all six bumpers are exactly the same. Exactly.

For those of you with a 73, please take a look at post #17 in this thread and see if your bumper corner looks like the one in the bottom picture.
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/rear-bumper-rubber-inserts.148945/page-2
    Notice the angles of the corner and how two of them are the same length? Also, how the flat face has a defined edge on each side?
    The face of a 73 is supposed to be wider. The 70-72 face is just under 1" wide. What is the width of a 73?

So is the pic in the thread horsesh*t and I've been chasing a fairy fart for five years or do they really exist? How about some pics to compare with the pic in the thread and a measurement of the face width? Thanks in advance.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Billy I'll check mine when i get home tonight, pretty sure its original to my 73

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. BillyDean7173

Thanks Bill.

4. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

I don’t see any difference in the 3 bumpers I looked at 70,71,&73 .
    All I see different are the brackets on the 73 and the bolt heads

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have a 73, and a bunch of bumpers, and none of them look like the 73 bumper. Didn't know they were hard to find.

6. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

I had a nice '73 rear bumper with brackets and rubber cushions and I cut it up into bumperettes and boxed the ends! I bet you hate me now, huh?

7. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

20180518_192321.jpg

8. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

The face on my 1973 LT/RS/Z28 is one inch. On my 1970 RS/SS/396 the face is 3/4 of an inch.

9. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

One reason I can think of off the top of my head is.....on the standard front bumper the bumper itself is reinforced on 73's and weigh more than the standard bumper for 70-72. So is it the same for rear bumpers? If so people wanting to rid the car of some weight maybe dumped the 73 rear bumper for a lighter weight 70 to 72.
    I don't know for sure but just a thought.

10. BillyDean7173

Thank you everyone for chiming in. Also to those that have texted me.
    Here are some of my thoughts.

1. Regarding the face, we're getting between 3/4" to 1" from 73 owners. Some of that may be depending on where exactly you are measuring on the bumper and where from edge to edge. Not easy because there's no hard 90 degree to make it crystal clear. Also, there are probably some tolerance issues. So if the difference came down to 1/4", would that really make a difference in a crash test? And would GM spend the money for an extra quarter inch?

2. I just looked at my 67 -74 Camaro MPC and it shows the same part number for 70-72 and 73. Two separate entries because of the deluxe bumper (VF3) for 70-72, but all are #3949772. If there was a difference, wouldn't it have a different part number?

3. Also, would GM change the bumper or just the brackets? They didn't change the RS bumpers for 73, just the brackets and bracing. The standard front bumper is the same shape as 70-72 except for the guards, extra two holes on top, and an inner reinforcement. And we know the 73 had brackets that pushed the rear bumper out farther. Different part numbers, too. The rubber cushion is longer too, perhaps because now there's more room.

4. No one's bumper has yet matched the pic of the one in the thread I referenced. Dimensions and angles are close, but no cigar.

5. If the pic in the thread is not a 73 or even a Camaro bumper, which it sure looks like one, then what else could it be?