Why Does Someone Sell Just The Body From Old Trucks?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Oct 13, 2015.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I'm going to throw the body of my 2001 Sonoma away, and put an old truck body, something like a 1947-1953 Chevrolet, on its frame. I saw a Mobsteel show where they did that, and I've read articles about that sort of thing.

But what puzzles me is how someone comes to have just the body of an old truck. Or more relevant to my situation, how one comes to find\buy just the body of an old truck. Are they buying the whole truck, and throwing away the frame as scrap, just keeping the body and bed? Or is there some reason why the frame would have rotted away, sitting out in Colorado or Montana, but the body would still be good?

I can buy a brand new cab for a '47-'53 Chevrolet truck, but that's kind of expensive( http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAB4753 ),
    and I'd still have to get fenders, hood, and bed.

2. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, I have an 81 c10 that Im pulling the motor out of, using the bed as a trailer for hauling rock, and cuttting the front end off for garage, leaving just the cab. MAybe simular scenarios.

3. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

The old frame and running gear, especially on the large heavy duty trucks (like you'll find on an old farm) aren't much use to someone building a street rod. So people grab the cabs and place them on S-10 frames (or aftermarket frames).

4. 72Heaven

72Heaven Veteran Member

Well around here, light duty trucks were often stripped of their chassis to build sawmills, hay wagons,and various implements. The heavy stuff usually just sits so long everything sinks into the dirt and the only value is the cab/doors anyway, as it's usually the same as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Ya the bodies are very easy to find around here. Parts are much more available for the newer chassis, easier to work on, safer, etc.
    Purists and Rat Rod peeps still use the frames mostly.

I've got a 54 and a 46 Chevy truck sitting on the farm and someone's always asking if I'd sell one part of it or another.

I always tell em "no, I'm gonna fix it up someday" (not):)
    Ya, I'm one of those guys....:crazy: :cool:

6. 72Heaven

72Heaven Veteran Member

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Easier to swap bodies and get a frame that already has 4 wheel disc brakes, modern rear end (or 4WD setup). Easier to drop a SBC into the S10 frame.

8. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

S-10 chassis are used because those old truck bodies are too narrow to look right on a full size chassis. Now, a full size 4x4 chassis would look awesome with one of those old body's on it.

9. Dmystix

Dmystix Veteran Member

You mean like this!!!!

[​IMG]

10. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've seen that truck on TV, and it is bad ass.