Why not more late model 2nd gens?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mikey1m2, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do alot of googling for information on modifications and things of that nature and I find ALOT of "How To" articles still out there from the major mags.

Alot of useful info is still being shown in those mags.

2. motionwannabe

motionwannabe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are tons of very informative how to articles out there yet. I subscribe to Camaro Performers and Im happy for the most part.
    I agree that I would like to see more 74-81 camaros but preferably 74-77 but Its as much our fault for not going to the shows, sending in pics with specs as it is their fault for not seeking them out as they seem to early second gens and the overly exposed 1st gens.
    Just because our favorite cars dont always or sometimes never appear in a magazine doesnt make it a bad mag. If that were the case my favorite Camaros are MOTION Cars. If I held out till every mag I liked had a new article all the time on a Motion Camaro Id next to never buy another magazine.
    I find there is always something useful if you're open to it.:bowtie:

3. Aceshigh

Another thought I had was 74-81 were the dreaded emissions years where weak stock engines weren't all that desirable.

4. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

emissions yes but the cars were and still are sweet rides,maybe we as acollective group should mail the car mags. and demand that our years also get the respect they deserve not only 1st and early 2nd gens.:)

5. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

I've noticed in the projects section more and more 78-81's popping up. It all has to do with the next generation of car nuts buying what they liked. It will happen in time. I'd love to do a full resto-mod LSX conversion on my 79 with all the suspension goodies but I dont have deep pockets. But I'm sure someone will come along and a trend will start. It will happen, just in time.

6. Aceshigh

[​IMG]

the main downside to the 70-77 years I disliked were the fact T-tops weren't an option.
    It's the biggest reason I bought my 2nd gen when I turned 21.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've modded the piss out of mine, but was told the paint needs to be done before it will even be considered.

8. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

74 Camaro's should not be considered an emisson year car. They did not require unleaded gas and did not have a catalytic converter. The L82 engine in the Z28 was exactly the same as the 1973 Z28 and the emisssions equipment is essentially the same as 1970-1973.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

the 73 and 74 L82s did not require unleaded but the motor was disigned to run on unleaded fuel. that being said the L 82 had forged steel internals and 4 bolt mains so far from a "weak" motor

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ageed, the drop off in NET HP from 72 to 73 is small with the HP 350 engine. 75 was the killer year with a loss of 80HP. Even the Corvette L-82 barely survived in 1975 with 205HP and a stupid catalytic converter.

Power trains , axles, transmissions , suspensions all the same 73 and 74.