Why NOT to use rope to hold the valves up for a spring change!

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Damon, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I feel sorry for the guy that listened to a great idea.
    I've said this in the past, and I'll say it again, quit trying to cut corners worrying about the compressor dieing. I don't care how great people think it works and it may but I wouldn't try it if you paid me. That's why I used a compressor to change all of my 16 valves and O rings without a compressor issue. I outlined my procedure in a post a few days ago. Think about how dumb it sounds to stuff rope in your cylinders through a spark plug hole and hope it comes out. I've read that some people stuff 6 feet of it!!! Come on.
    If it worked for you then your one of the lucky few.:screwup:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I'll continue using my rope thanks, Cant imagine what he did wrong? (turned motor over before removing rope???) But I have never made a mistake that way and never will. I have a compressor line and fittings but I dont like the other way. Bring each piston to TDC and slide it in.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

i'll stay with the air compressor way. inspect your hoses and fittings before,, and it's good to go. keep folk away from the compressor and air lines. give em' a "head slap" before you start if you're not doing it solo.
    andy

5. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Quote from the original guy
    I've done it with the rope & the compressor, the compressor is easier but not always an option, depends where you are working.

However, I would never use anything but a soft cotton or similar rope, never nylon!!!

6. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

guy's an idiot.. hilarious. Doesn't want to pull the head to get the rope out? good luck with that.

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

exactly

8. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a fan of the compressor method, but I'm blessed with a 2-stage with a 80 gallon tank pressurized to 185 PSI. I probably wouldn't feel the same if I was improvising with one of those little pancake compressors that comes with a nail gun.

9. 73RS

73RS Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree never had a problem with rope either and have used both. Leave plenty hanging out of the plug hole. You shouldn't have to stuff much in there either unless you are trying to fill the cylinder up with rope with it on bottom dead center. I guess he got a knot in the rope and it wouldn't come out.

10. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

I've never worried about using compressed air. Worst case, let's assume the hose pops off and goes instantly to zero pressure. The valve ain't gonna fall through the guide seal. It hits the retainer groove and grabs it. Fix air hose problem, pull valve up with a magnet and stick it to the seat again. If you're the worry wart type and you're changing the seals, then pull the seal up to the goove and stick a magnet to the side of the valve stem below it before you pull the seal all the way off.

Must admit though, I did the rope thing quite a few times back when I was younger and didn't even own a compressor.