Why would a newly built 383 be over heating?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cubangt, Jun 9, 2015.

1. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Trying to help a friend, he had a newly rebuilt 383 done for his 92 Camaro, and for a few weeks now he hasn't got he car back because the mechanic cant figure out why the motor is over heating..im just trying to help my friend understand what might be happening, I know its up to the mechanic to figure it out, but if he keeps getting the run around atleast he will know why..

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What Thermostat is in it.
    Got a fan shroud?
    What kind of fan, Clutch or electric? If electric, are they coming on?
    Coolant mix - should be 50/50
    Is it the correct rotation water pump?
    New hoses?
    New or re-cored rad?
    Fuel system - A lean air/fuel mixture will cause an engine to create more heat than a rich air/fuel mixture
    Auto or manual tranny?
    Timing?
    Are you using a vacuum advance can?
    Have you burped the coolant system? Run with rad cap off until all bubbles are gone.
    What oil viscosity?
    Use an infrared heat gun to measure both the inlet and outlet radiator hose water temperature.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. cubangt

Here is what I know so far and for sure..
    What Thermostat is in it(Unknown by me, but can ask)
    Got a fan shroud? (Yes factory setup)
    What kind of fan, Clutch or electric? If electric, are they coming on?(Electric Fans, always running, never seem to stop running)
    Coolant mix - should be 50/50(Unknown by me)
    Is it the correct rotation water pump?(Brand New)
    New hoses? (Yes)
    New or re-cored rad?(Believe its new, also just text to ask)
    Fuel system - A lean air/fuel mixture will cause an engine to create more heat than a rich air/fuel mixture
    Auto or manual tranny?(Auto)
    Timing?(I would hope he has set it correctly, he is the mech that built the motor)
    Are you using a vacuum advance can?(Unknown by me)
    Have you burped the coolant system? Run with rad cap off until all bubbles are gone. (Unknown)
    What oil viscosity?(Unknown, may still be breaking it in)
    Use an infrared heat gun to measure both the inlet and outlet radiator hose water temperature.(If he decides to pick it up, ill work with him on checking things out.. )

thanks..

4. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

First I'd like to say, I hope he's not relying on the stock gauge. Those suck in those cars. About the only thing they got right is the speedometer.

A common problem with those cars is the heater control valve sticking. My '92 Camaro did it with the paltry 305cid in it. It doesn't make any sense, but it happens. Somehow it will restrict coolant flow and the engine will get hot.

5. cubangt

ok, this mech has taken over 2yrs to build him the motor and lately always has excuses or problems on giving the car back.. Im all for making him fix it before getting the car, but that's just unacceptable to me.. but we will see.

thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Uh oh. Not a good sign.

First things first, whatever money your friend has sunk into this is probably gone. Sorry, but it is.

Second, get the car back before they close down his business and you can't get anything back. Figure out what's salvagable from whatever work was done from that point yourself.

I've just seen this movie too many times before.

7. cubangt

Besides the 2yrs time frame, why is it a bad thing for him? For me I've shopped around for rebuild of ls1 and it's a 2 to 3 week build. I feel bad, but he is going to wait it out

8. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Is it running hot sitting or on road driving?

The third gens are "bottom feeders" and must have the air dam in place to move the air into the rad.

What rad? The stock 1 core, thin factory alum. rad. will not be enough to cool down a built 383

Single or dual elec. fan setup? The single fan setup was only used on the 305 and small engines. The L98 350 cars got the dual fan setup as the bigger engine needed it.

The stock single fan setup will not be enough for that 383

Serpentine belt or V belts? The Serpentine belt setup uses a water pump that turns backwards... Put the std SBC pump on it and you will have trouble.

What induction system and ignition system? Throttle body, tune port or carb?

9. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

We built a third gen with a 383 in it and forgot the lower air dam which caused to over heat going down the highway.

10. cubangt

He is suppose to stop by the shop today to check on the car since the last time he went, the car was a 305 before the rebuild and everything is pretty much all new. Not sure if it was driven or sitting when they noticed the issue. I will know later when I talk to him. I have asked him to get a list of things and specs on what the guy has built and providing him, but he hasn't done so.. my car builds and motor builds(later on) will be detailed and spec'd out so I know what I have, im not going to just take a motor and not know.. the fan setup, I want to say its dual, only because how he stated the issue to me the first time and referred to the "fans" as always running. Belt and pump again not sure since he doesn't want to ask or hasn't asked.. And I could be wrong, but I believe its the tuned port setup. The bad thing is that my friend enjoys cars, has a vette, 79 Camaro, Harley, truck and a little daily driver for work.. but he doesn't know much about them, so he is at the other persons mercy when it comes to resolving issues.. Im just trying to help him so he doesn't get screwed out of more money or talked into something he doesn't actually need.