widest wheels/tires up front on my 81Z

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Zedzag, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

My 81Z28 is evolvng into an autocross only car and I'm looking for input on how to get a wider tire than A 275 up front. Ideally, I'd like to use a 294/40/17 front to match the rear and be able to rotate and maximize tire life. I have no issues with losing the inner fenders and running extreme amounts of useable neg camber. I was going to try a 17 x 9.5 wheel with a 5.5 bs up front and see what fits. I know a 275/40/17 is do-able.

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9.5 wide with 5.5 backspace is going to hit the fender. With lots of negative you might be ok...but it will still be really tight. I'll be curious to see if a 9.5 wheel with 295 tire hits the subframe or control arms. That's gonna be tight!

3. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Do you mean it'll hit the inner fender? I'm not opposed to losing it if I have to. I have Baer brakes up front which moves the mounting flange on the rotors out a little wider. I can always tailor fit the fronts with a spacer as well. I do know that 5.5 bs on the rear is perfect.

4. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    stiff springs from PTFB up front and youll be ok.

5. dioismyhero

dioismyhero Veteran Member Gold Member

i have 17x9.5 w 5.5 bs running 275/50/17 no issues what so ever on stock worn out rear suspension

[​IMG]

6. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I already have 700# front springs.

7. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Do you mean on the front or rear? I'm not concerned with 275 on the rear it's the front I'm looking for info on.

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I have 17x8's with 4.75 backspacing and am using 255/45 tires and it is close. Not sure you could go much bigger and not rub. Depends on how low your car sits.

[​IMG]

9. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Looks to me like you could go wider. This is not a street car so rolling fender lips and removing inner fenders opens up many more possibilities. I've see 275s up front and know they work but what's the limiting factor on going larger than the 275? With 5.5 bs and the extra thickness of the Baer brakes, I'm probalbly at more like 5.25 bs and I know 5" bs works well on a 17 x 9.

10. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd be worried about the outer fender clearance and the control arm subframe on the inside. You have 245s on 18x8/4.5 Coys right now, right?

A 295 on a 18x9.5/5.5 will be 1.2" closer to your subframe and .7" further from the fender. I would take some measurements of how much room you have now and compare them with what you'd need for the 295.