wierd water pipe noise in our house - Plumbers?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by spicewood1, Mar 23, 2013.

1. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Moved into a 90 yr old house. Has upgraded all - copper water supply lines. Also has very high pressure. When someone showers in a particular bathroom a loud resonating sound like a groan is heard all thru the house. In the basement I can feel the pipe making the sound and it is a branch off the main 3/4 line not servicing the bath being used at the time. The groan lasts a minute then disapates. What is going on? Any ideas?

2. Camaro4life18

Camaro4life18 Veteran Member

I'm assuming this is hot water? Might be the expansion of the copper when the hot water runs through it. Check and see if there are any spots where cold air is getting to it, or possibly poor insulated areas (also assuming it is insulated...if not it should be).

I'm not a plumber, but those are some possible scenarios from my experience.

3. parts_master1

parts_master1 Veteran Member

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not no
    Might also be air trapped in one of the lines. Bleed the lines by opening all of the outlets starting with those that are closest to the source. Let run for five minutes.

4. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How high is the water pressure? Could be too much pressure stressing the pipes.

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If all of that doesnt work,they sell a test tube sized pipe with a spring in in that gets installed in your cold supply at the highest point in the building for trapped air.It acts as a cushion.I beleive that it needs periodic attention though(drain age like mentioned in post 3).

6. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^water hammer arrestor. I think that is more for a 'slam' when the water is turned off/on?

7. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

PSI shouldn't be above 80 or so. Noisey & hard on system.
    On city water or well? If city water it may be pressure reducing valve going bad.
    That would be near the main shut off. Usually affected by any faucet because all incoming water goes through it.
    If noise is only when one certain faucet is used, it may be that faucet. Especially if its the pressure balancing or posi-temp type w/ single handle.
    Arresters are best used to absorb the hammering or knocking when faucets/dw, etc. are turned off quickly or quick closing faucets/solenoids.
    That doesn't sound like whats happening. Good luck.

8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    If its just from one faucet/shower its likely the valve going bad causing the seat to flutter. replace the cartridge in the shower valve. Anti-hammer device might help but only to mask the symptoms. Its not good for yer pipes and should be dealt with.

9. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have found in line cut off valves that are not open all the way. As
    the water flows by the stem, it causes the stem to vibrate and shudder.
    Like Mark said, a cut off valve with a loose washer can cause
    the same problem. Water moving over the loose washer causes a shudder sound.

10. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

City water. Pressure is not known but from my experience I know what 75 psi feels like and this is double that. Entire house has all been replaced with copper piping and there are air cushions at every faucet, toilet, sink - there are at least a dozen. There is no pressure reg at the incoming supply just a shutoff valve. Also all faucets are original 1920s with huge cartriges and leather stem seals. No high tech just full flow - heck the shower will fill a 5 gal bucket in 5 seconds, the washing machine fills in about 30 seconds. The sound is not a hammer but a loud groan that vibrates the floor.