Will a 6.0 LQ4 engine connect to a 700r-4?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ProjectCam76, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I found out from my local junk yard that I could get a 2007 or newer 6.0 LQ4 truck engine for around $3k but he said that's without wiring harness and just the engine alone. He said wiring harness with brain will cost even more. I plan on running a 700r-4 and need clarification that it will connect to the LQ4 or do I need an adapter plate? Also, would it be better to just buy an aftermarket wiring harness & brain. Rather than buy the wiring harness that would've been attached to the LQ4 engine. If I do this then I plan on sticking a LT4 hot cam in it.

2. ProjectCam76

I read somewhere it would probably a lot less headache to use a 4L60E rather than a 700r-4 though.

3. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member

For a few more $$ you can get a crate engine if your gonna spend that kind of dough. Might b worth it for what you get, IMO.

Oh, and I have no idea about the trans fitment

4. ProjectCam76

True, and I've been considering that too.

5. griffsbombelco

griffsbombelco Veteran Member

Too much $$ for that engine they can be had for at least a grand less complete

6. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

X2. Way too much dough....

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Maybe if it was an LQ9 that value I see is $2500. For $3k, I would be looking for low miles and complete. The LQ4 engine are dirt cheap. The LQ4 depending on year cast or aluminum cathedral port heads?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  8. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

lq4 and lq9 are cathedral port motors. L92 would have rectangular heads

9. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Even if it is an lq9 NEVER PAY 3000$ FOR ONE. 6.2s can be had for 3500$ also COMPLETE .
    Although 07 and newer have the better flowing heads. You should never pay that much for an iron block truck motor. Especially with no harness or computer.Get you a COMPLETE lq4 for 1200$ and spend the rest of that 3k on cam, heads, and springs and a 4l80e.

You can run a 700r4 and you don't need a flexplate KIT if you get the 4l80e flexplate with the motor. But you will need the spacer. If you don't get the 4l80e flexplate then you will need the whole kit.

As far as running a 700r4 you will need to buy a kickdown cable conversion since the fuel injection motor doesn't have anything to hook the kickdown to.

If I were you I'd stick a 4l80e behind it or at least a 4l60e.

As far as the harness you can get a stock one a re work it yourself, send it out to get re worked or buy one for around 500$ shipped to your door.

Junkyards have caught on to people using the LS motors in swaps so the price of them is much higher than it used to be. And they know people with little to no knowledge of the motors will pay that much. I learned the hard way when I first started out and spent way to much money because of my lack of knowledge. Definitely look around a lot more. Join the fb groups "lsx parts for sale, lsx swaps, lsx parts for sell or trade". I'm sure somebody on those pages lives close to you and either has a motor or knows where to get one much cheaper.

Hope i helped.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Kamaro

Kamaro Veteran Member

$3000 is too much even for a fully dressed LQ4, a few years ago I picked up a complete low mileage LS2 and T56 with everything (harness, ecu, pedals, .. etc) for about $5000.